Is a track spacing tool useful?

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
I don't know if suppliers are allowed to post in this section - it seemed the most logical place, but if it's not OK, mods please delete the thread.

Basically, I found I needed a way of accurately laying R1 and R2 curves concentric for my coach testing rig so passing trains didn't hit each other, and the track spacing has come up a bit on the forums, so I mocked up a 'proper' version of the tool I made in Acrylic (perspex) - see photos.

Basically it allows you to space parallel tracks at the same pitch as you get coming out of a crossover made from two R1 points - ie the difference between R1 and R2 (or R2 and PikoR3, unfortunately LGB R3 is something else..) - the second photo shows a pair on R1 and R2 curves. The other side is a 4 foot radius curve template - minimum recommended for the bigger Bachmann and Aristo stuff.

Question is, is there any middle ground between the people who only really use setrack and don't need to worry, and those running the big 1:20.3 engines that need a wider track pitch anyway (and who maybe have the space to lay it by eye). It's turned out to be a surprisingly time-consuming tool to cut so a production version would probably have a pricetag of £7.50, which makes me guess 'no' as the answer to the question. (Any more I make will also have the writing on the track spacing side the right way up when you're using it - D'oh - and maybe swap the LGB/Piko legend for the actual track centre dimension.)

Any comments?

Jonathan
RDE

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It's a good idea Jonathon, but I guess most of us have managed without for a while now? Especially if we are using set track at either R1/R2 165 mm centres or R3 and above at 185 mm centres.

And not many of us have long double tracked sections of line. You need twice the space and it's double the cost after all!

Whether it's a viable commercial proposition, I wouldn't really like to say....