Installing 55027 MTS3 decoders - First Steps into DCC

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
I'm just about to make some first tentative steps into DCC and hope that (as usual) the good folk here can be of help.
After much reading of the digital section of the forum about the merits of various systems, I have settled on sticking with the basic MTS set up for the following reasons:

1. I run a small, indoor end-to-end layout (basically a smaller version of the lovely 'Klein Arosa' often mentioned here).
2. I primarily want to use the MTS to have the ability to enjoy the extra sound features of my RhB G3/4 Thusis and (hopefully as of today) a Ge 4/4 II, beyond the basics of analogue.
3. I'm not really that confident about the dark arts of digital control and it seem to be the most cost efficient way of finding out if it really is for me.

While I have thought at length about the Massoth system, even a basic DiMax 800, Navigator and peripherals (R/C and 2 chips) is going to set me back about A$3000. Add to that the relatively low volumes sold in Australia, and the possibility of acquiring old stock (as mentioned in another thread by Tim Brien) without the latest firmware, makes it an expensive risk. At some later point I may buy a navigator to use with the MTS.

So, to get to the point. I have several recent production locos (Harz 2-6-2T, Ge2/4 and a Krok) that I intend to put 55027 decoders into. These all have decoder interfaces and, aside from cracking them open, is it effectively a case of plugging the decoder in, assigning a numerical address and away you go? Is there any other programming required and can it be done with the 55015 Remote? Or do I have also consider something like a Sprog?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
hello, and welcome to the dark arts!
if they are the lastest locos, yes, basicly, there is a plug fitted to the internal mother bords, remove plug, plug in the mts 3.. older locos will have dip switches,no sockets for a mts 3... but if it is just plug and play, you will only need tore number the loco /chip..

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Michael.

Which type of interface do your locos have? 55027 is intended for a different type of interface than (say) the 55021, although there are convert leads to help use one type of decoder with the other type of interface? I'm sure the experts more familiar with chipping the various LGB locos will chime in.

The different interfaces in LGB locos are usually marked by a particular logo sticker. Take a look at the link below, there's a useful table of the different logos at the bottom. I suspect this page was written by someone for whom maybe english is not their first language, but it's understandable.

http://theworldoflgb.blogspot.com/2010/08/lgb-technology-dependent-back-fitting.html

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Also, I reckon a 55027 at 3 amps is overkill in terms of power capability (and expense) for small locos like the 2-6-2 and Ge2/4 where a 55021 or Massoth equivalent should be sufficient. The krok has 2 motors so a 55027 is appropriate for that.

Personally I tend to use other brands of decoder (more bang for the buck), but no denying the convenience of using LGB/Massoth plug'n'play decoders with LGB locos . They are decent decoders, just a bit pricey IMHO.

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback Mike and Nick, it has confirmed that I did understand most of what I read correctly.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Michael,
A Massoth 'XL' is around $40.00 cheaper than an equivalent type '3' LGB decoder. Both come with required wires and connectors and are 'plug and play'. The Massoth decoder has more features and ceretainly a better product.

Depending on the age of your sound system then you may be disappointed with DCC. Early LGB sound, pre-2004, is digital but uses 'serial' processing. This requires multiple single button operations to get a desired sound. Thus, if say the station announcement is '5' then five separate button presses of button '1' are needed. Not an ideal setup but a necessity when using the older sound boards.

As regards out of date firmware and software on decoders, then overseas purchases are the only real alternative. The local market is simply too small and so stock sits on shelves for many years.

A member on this site, Mohammed, operates 'Allaboutlgb' and is a registered Massoth dealer in the States.

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tim, thanks for the tip about the XL. As regards my sound equipped locos, they are recent (last 2 years) catalogue items, so I believe they use the parallel setup. Longer term, if if find the DCC suitable for my layout, I'll be replacing the 55027 decoders with Massoth sound decoders. However, I thought I might wait for the new XLS pro and see what the opinion on them is like. Also, should I choose to buy locally I'll at least know they are recent
Production.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Tim: Thank you for pointing Michael in my direction.
Hello Michael: I have had a few satisfied customers in Australia, and no difficulty getting products to them safely and in a timely manner.
As s user and a dealer, I am quite familiar with both LGB and Massoth DCC, and I like and trust both for their intended purpose. They serve different niches and to are sometimes complementary. However, as far decoders are concerned, I usually recommend the Massoth's since, as Tim already mentioned, they tend to be cheaper and yet have more features.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Michael;
I do not expect the XLS pro to be avaible in the near future, and I think it would be an overkill for a GE 4/4 II.