Information required - LGB 4 wheel wagons

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My understanding of the bog standard 4-wheel wagon is that the wheelsets sit in pivoting cradles.

I'm trying to establish the dimension from the top of the cradle to the centre of the axle - please

:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
My understanding of the bog standard 4-wheel wagon is that the wheelsets sit in pivoting cradles.

I'm trying to establish the dimension from the top of the cradle to the centre of the axle - please

:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

I make it 26mm.

The actual pivot point in moulded onto the underside of each wagon or coach body. So unlike Playmobil or Bachmann the chassis is not 'runnable' without a body.

The pivot point inserts into the top of the wheel cradle, but as you requested, I have measured from the flat uppermost surface of the cradle to the centre of the axle.

James

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It is possible to build a new Body and make a suitable Pivot to fit the LGB Axle Mouldings, but they are never quite as effective as the LGB ones.
JonD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you both - confession is good for the soul; I am not thinking of wagons, I am looking to replace the trailing truck of my scratchbuilt 2-6-2 which has outside axle boxes (just the trailing truck you understand)

The original version which was a bit fragile has...............well..................become even more fragile, as it is now in more than one part :D:D:Do_O

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure they can be bought as a spare, suppose it depends on the price.

I know playmobil ones can be.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAYMOBIL...-SPARE-PARTS-Max-P-P-2-99-Order-/201517055951
That's where I was headed - I just wanted to check the dimensions first

I've gone for a Playmobil one - if necessary I can take the trusty hacksaw to it, and if I muck it up, I'll have to buy an LGB pair :D:D:D

I think, if there's a little bit of side play / slop, I can get away with the height - the Playmobil one has a reasonable representation of axlebox and spring :nod::nod::nod:

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
That's where I was headed - I just wanted to check the dimensions first

I've gone for a Playmobil one - if necessary I can take the trusty hacksaw to it, and if I muck it up, I'll have to buy an LGB pair :D:D:D

I think, if there's a little bit of side play / slop, I can get away with the height - the Playmobil one has a reasonable representation of axlebox and spring :nod::nod::nod:

The playmobil ones are in a more rigid plastic than LGB, which is quite workable. I have used the swing arm couplings removed from these to make Bachmann Thomas series long wheelbase stock 'runable' on 2' radius curves and reverse curves.

If you decide you do need an LGB one instead of your PM one I can happily send you one with or without hook, (old style couplings). If you need a newer one, they are readily available from stockists.

As you say, the cradle is much less detailed and consists of a plain verticle bar on each side to support the axle, plus two pairs of dummy brake shoes.

James

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The playmobil ones are in a more rigid plastic than LGB, which is quite workable. I have used the swing arm couplings removed from these to make Bachmann Thomas series long wheelbase stock 'runable' on 2' radius curves and reverse curves.

If you decide you do need an LGB one instead of your PM one I can happily send you one with or without hook, (old style couplings). If you need a newer one, they are readily available from stockists.

As you say, the cradle is much less detailed and consists of a plain verticle bar on each side to support the axle, plus two pairs of dummy brake shoes.

James
James, thanks for this - we'll see how much of a mess I get into with the Playmobil one :confused::confused: