Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
idiots guild, it may not be the bestway,or the rightway, its my way ..
dis asemble the koff, its prity much stright forward, remove front, and rear coupling, and the brackets they sit in, lift them up,and away..
under the front coupling mount..you will see 2 holes that go into the locos bonnet, small lgb screwdrivre fits inside, remove both sides screws
remove the 4 larger screws under the cab.. lift bonnet off , cab shold now only be held on by the power socket plug,remove, lift away cab.
jons also done a exclent artical on dis asembling a simimliar yellow one..
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m127073

i always takeaphot off the chip, so i know were all the plugs go/wires are.. removeing a plug, then trying to remeber where it came from.. isnt my idea, off fun
P1110422.jpg

P1110423.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ok thouse off a nervuse disposition should run away now.. :D:rofl::rofl::rofl:
still here?
right, after checking 1st, that the s module works, and is the correct one.. i use a modlers
razzor saw to trim the s module.. cuting off the bits with the speaker logo on it, and the othere end were the power feed wires are..
P1110425.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
:Dstill standing? good.. next we cut the cab bulkhead out, with a bit off care, its not difficult..do the same to the bonnet,
P1110431.jpg

P1110426.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
bet u can guess whats next.. yip. Duck tape.. use a smallpeaces off duck tape, to completly cover the back offf the cab isaolation switch..
P1110427.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
the selotapes lgbs. the s module will now fit snuglly inside the space..
P1110428.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
conect the speaker wire, fit the power feed wires to the two pins on the loco decoda, it dosnt matter which way round they go
P1110429.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
ok thouse off a nervuse disposition should run away now.. :D:rofl::rofl::rofl:
still here?
right, after checking 1st, that the s module works, and is the correct one.. i use a modlers
razzor saw to trim the s module.. cuting off the bits with the speaker logo on it, and the othere end were the power feed wires are..
P1110425.jpg

Actually Mike, you don't need to saw the ends off - they are pre-grooved for snapping off, if you grip the tab sideways in a pair of long-nosed pliers (right along the width, just next to the scribed line) and very GENTLY twist the pliers downwards, the tab will snap off cleanly and with surprisingly little force. This also avoids the risk of any sawing swarf getting between the decoder components.
I was a bit scared of snapping one at first, so got Jeremy to do a couple for me when he supplied the decoders (I'm sure Mark would be happy to do the same) but then I tried it myself on one of the tiny Massoth M units - to get it into the little space under the front of a Feldbahn steamer - and it was actually very easy to do.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your install - did you end up putting the S in the cab like I did, or did you find another spot to fit it in?

Jon.

Edit: you posted the next set of pics while I was still typing my post! Nice job tucking it into the front of the cab like that. :D

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
now its the speaker, it wont fit snuggly like in the yellowversion, as the bonnets narrower..
i have fitted mine, diagnoly across, instead off stright across, its in the same end, ect, ihave used a small slice off duck tape to hold it in postion ,while i re asmeble the loco, which, is simply the reverse off takeing it to bit..i check out the install via a lgb pc interface, reading out the chip/s module.. and re numbered the s module to match the loco.. so, now we have a sound equiped koff, nothing on show
here the bits i had left over..
P1110432.jpg

P1110433.jpg

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Really clear instructions+piccie's - thanks Mike.

Wistow vale rlwy

Registered
20 Feb 2010
WISTOW NORTH YORKSHIRE
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for a very useful and descriptive presentation.
I have got a LGB 'Duo' switcher; (21900) anologue, of course.
Last year I changed 'The Wistow Vale Rlwy' over to the LGB MTS digital system.
My locos not already factory chipped, and only requiring the straight forward plug-and-play decoders, I have done; the Duo looks a little more challenging.
I am not too bothered about sound but I would like the auto couplers to function.
Do you know of a simple plug-and-play decoder that would meet my requirements ? - I don't realy fancy cutting and carving the loco, I am more suited to the electrical workings of a underground coal-cutting shearer !
I am working at our place in Germany at the moment and should have been here a month, so hoped to dig about a little for LGB retailers, but I must travel to Australia from here on Monday for a month to work in a mine in NSW, so won't get chance now.
Thanks in advance.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Wistow vale rlwy said:
Thanks for a very useful and descriptive presentation.
I have got a LGB 'Duo' switcher; (21900) anologue, of course.
Last year I changed 'The Wistow Vale Rlwy' over to the LGB MTS digital system.
My locos not already factory chipped, and only requiring the straight forward plug-and-play decoders, I have done; the Duo looks a little more challenging.
I am not too bothered about sound but I would like the auto couplers to function.
Do you know of a simple plug-and-play decoder that would meet my requirements ? - I don't realy fancy cutting and carving the loco, I am more suited to the electrical workings of a underground coal-cutting shearer !
I am working at our place in Germany at the moment and should have been here a month, so hoped to dig about a little for LGB retailers, but I must travel to Australia from here on Monday for a month to work in a mine in NSW, so won't get chance now.
Thanks in advance.

I have recently acquired a red 21900 DUO KoF, which seems to be a very rare (maybe even unique) factory-done MTS conversion - you can read the thread on it here:
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m21562...outlet.co.uk/p/65/massoth-emotion-relay-board < Link To http://www.gardenrailoutl...th-emotion-relay-board
plus an L decoder should be quite an easy and relatively inexpensive route to an MTS-controlled DUO KoF!

Jon.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
ok thouse off a nervuse disposition should run away now.. :D:rofl::rofl::rofl: ...................................................................

Is it safe to come out now?&: