Hydrogen fuelled steam engine

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
I just made this thread for anyone who could possibly be interested in doing so, and just a new concept

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
When I grow up....
IMG_20220829_100134.jpg
I want to be...
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I just made this thread for anyone who could possibly be interested in doing so, and just a new concept
Green, grey or blue Hydrogen?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not steam, but this is the closest I have seen so far:
Hm I though how scary is that? But reading this made me think possibly not so bad. But expensive solution once you also factor in the refill option.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A pity Andel are no more..
I have tried to find more information, but was too late to find out much about the Andel range..

Regarding hydrogen, as the gas for burning, it has a lower calorific value than butane etc. So you would need more of it. - So higher pressure in the gas tank.
A little like wood versus coal, you need a lot more of it..

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A pity Andel are no more..
I have tried to find more information, but was too late to find out much about the Andel range..
Hm hope not due to too many experiments with Hydrogen!
Regarding hydrogen, as the gas for burning, it has a lower calorific value than butane etc. So you would need more of it. - So higher pressure in the gas tank.

A little like wood versus coal, you need a lot more of it..

PhilP
The high pressure thing and storage of the stuff to say nothing of transferring it at high pressure to trains, busses, trucks and possibly even cars worries me. Not sure why as it appears to be one of the big things for the future, perhaps I am right and they are wrong. Wont be the first time.

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
Well yes I have accounted for the fact that hydrogen has a lower density and needs to be stored at higher pressure, I guess this could just be some interesting experiment to do.

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
I feel compelled to ask.. why hydrogen? It isn't particularly easy to make yourself at scale and compress for storage, and you really just end up with a complicated and inconvenient way of making electricity. edit: misread the title, wouldn't burning hydrogen to make steam just look like a butane gas system that is more inconvenient and works less well? If the primary goal is to demonstrate some interesting niche technology I think there are others that are both easier and more interesting.

Last edited:

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
burning hydrogen yields water vapor and oxygen... much better than fossil fuels, you watch will outstrip battery cars.

For the purposes of G scale rail applications though do any of those advantages matter? We don't need to worry about emissions, and I assume by better than batteries you mean higher energy density? But isn't hydrogen very difficult to handle at the pressures required for any sort of energy density?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
For the purposes of G scale rail applications though do any of those advantages matter? We don't need to worry about emissions, and I assume by better than batteries you mean higher energy density? But isn't hydrogen very difficult to handle at the pressures required for any sort of energy density?
It is difficult to store as the energy used to create it needs to be sourced in an environmentally friendly way (green hydrogen see post #6), then you are just creating an energy that will loose more energy in its use in the via the so called Fuel Cell that intimates direct use. So far as I understand the so called Fuel Cell is part of the on-board process to convert the hydrogen to electricity. The model electric loco has one shown in the vid in post #7. Dispute the views of many I do not believe the answer that many are trying to spin it to be, storage is a big issue due to the high pressures required. However on the plus side the outputs after use are indeed of little concern.

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
It is difficult to store as the energy used to create it needs to be sourced in an environmentally friendly way (green hydrogen see post #6), then you are just creating an energy that will loose more energy in its use in the via the so called Fuel Cell that intimates direct use. So far as I understand the so called Fuel Cell is part of the on-board process to convert the hydrogen to electricity. The model electric loco has one shown in the vid in post #7. Dispute the views of many I do not believe the answer that many are trying to spin it to be, storage is a big issue due to the high pressures required. However on the plus side the outputs after use are indeed of little concern.

I think we're all talking about a few different things here, and a few different scales! Using hydrogen to make electricity with a fuel cell vs just burning it to fire a boiler to make steam. Energy efficiency or emsisisons aren't things that usually matter at our model scale, even though they can be the primary reasons a technology is adopted at large scale. We're usually only concerned about energy efficiency as far as energy density is concerned and I'd be surprised if hydrogen was better than conventional fuels or batteries at our small scale.

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
in total, trying to use hydrogen fuel for a steam engine is just a experiment and is not applicable to regular use, like for example a nuclear powered aircraft.