How to use a ESU 51900 decoder tester

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
TUXFORD - NOTTINGHAMSHIRE - ENGLAND.
Best answers
Country flag
A late mates wife gave me a ESU 51900 decoder tester, in a box that contains about 8 ESU decoders. No paperwork, therefore I have no idea of how to use it. I have goggled it to obtain instructions, but they don't make much sense to me. I think I need step by step help with this one please.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Re:How to use a ESU 51900 decoder tester

I know little about decoders in general but I do know South West Digital http://www.southwestdigital.co.uk/ are the importers and U.K. agent for ESU products.
They are both helpful and knowledgeable.
If you can't find what you need via downloads from their site I suggest you 'phone them when they reopen after the holidays.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

They are a night mare to do . You can put about 4 output on one function. I tried programing with the massoth system and it all went wrong. Think it might be worthwhile getting the ESU programer eitherr to buy or borrow.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

I don't own one of these, but they look like a useful test kit for checking that a decoder is functional. Looking at the instructions:

You have a 2-wire terminal block (or a pair of "tubes" to push wires into) to connect your DCC command station's track output.

You have a selection of different interfaces to plug in a decoder which has one of those interfaces.

You have a terminal block (possibly push fit for each wire?) to test a decoder that only has wires and not an interface plug. Going by the picture in the instructions it looks like there is labelling behind this block to tell you which wire is which (you'll need to refer to NMRA standard wire colours to match up with your decoder, or LGB wire colour code table for an LGB decoder).

You have a nice flywheel-fitted motor to prove that motor control works on the decoder you're testing. There are a bunch of LEDs that will indicate lights and other decoder functions. There's even a speaker to test sound decoders.

So... basically you plug in your decoder, plug in your command station, dial up address 3 (assuming a brand new decoder) and try out the decoder.

Personally I just use an old motor and a multimeter, but this does look like a handy bit of gear if, say, you fit lots of decoders professionally.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Nick has it about right. I have one and its connected to my DCC programming rig. I use it to program/test decoders before they are installed into a loco.