How to get a Matt finish

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Have been having trouble getting a Matt finish on some of my models :wits: Have sprayed Matt varnish on my Rotary snow plows tenders 3 times now but the finish keeps going blotchy some bits look glossy some look matt . The main body of my plow a loco and flat cars that i have also sprayed with the same Matt Varnish have gone Matt so i can't see why these 2 tenders i have just won't go Matt . I used the spray out in the garden in the sun with a light breeze , heres a few pics of the finish . Before i go ahead and spray a forth coat has any one got any tips for me ???
4547f1638d45456491f28389db71fcbf.jpg

e112686f2d3c42319b2a85280cb3e0f2.jpg

a68e311fa6a54baba34364f3634e2626.jpg

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Re:How to get a Matt finish

ah.....so did u put the can in warm water half way..then shake it?..or maybe the noozle is bit block?......i use bottle of acryilla matt satin..very good,,,not shiny,,,just normal.....for any kits!!

tht is look odd to me,,,,mmmmmm......re-check yr spray noozle?...coz i have the same problem with spray can so i take the noozle off and put in warm water and leave it..til clean and then u try to blow the noozle or put on another old spray can to see if work,,,mmmmm..im not sure..coz i alway into acryilla satin matt varish bottles...it work...with brushes!

richie..try this if u like it....up to u.....ok...give it a best shots........mine is bottle like this,,use brushes...up to u,,depend..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vallejo-400ml...71?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item35aca3c457

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My first thoughts would be varnish not mixed properly and maybe not spraying at a decent air temperature? Spraying in even a light a breeze is not a good idea, it could cause the varnish to dry before hitting the surface and/or not allow the surface to remain "wet" long enough to allow the varnish to go on evenly.

Some very good tips recently in the thread about using rattle cans.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers

ntpntpntp said:
My first thoughts would be varnish not mixed properly and maybe not spraying at a decent air temperature? Spraying in even a light a breeze is not a good idea, it could cause the varnish to dry before hitting the surface and/or not allow the surface to remain "wet" long enough to allow the varnish to go on evenly.

Some very good tips recently in the thread about using rattle cans.

yes i agree with him......tht what i thought......

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

Many thanks for the tips have just read Rob's answer to using rattle cans thread . Just need to ask wifey if i can spray it in the house as i've got no heating in the garage .

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

Had the go ahead tonight to spray in the kitchen . Made myself a cardboard spray booth with a TV turn table , Followed Rob's instruction of warming up the room put the spray can in hot water to warm then shook the can for several minutes then gave one thin coat of spray over the tenders revolving them on the turn table . They are both now sat on a shelf in a warm room drying lets just hope they dry Matt .

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers

Richie said:
Had the go ahead tonight to spray in the kitchen . Made myself a cardboard spray booth with a TV turn table , Followed Rob's instruction of warming up the room put the spray can in hot water to warm then shook the can for several minutes then gave one thin coat of spray over the tenders revolving them on the turn table . They are both now sat on a shelf in a warm room drying lets just hope they dry Matt .

Richie
If there is a [strike]smell[/strike] odour left in the room after spraying put some salt in a bowl of hot
water in to the room, 1/2hour or more after finishing this helps absorbs a lot of the odour.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

Rob s said:
Richie said:

Richie
If there is a [STRIKE]smell[/STRIKE] odour left in the room after spraying put some salt in a bowl of hot
water in to the room, 1/2hour or more after finishing this helps absorbs a lot of the odour.

Thanks for the tip Rob had the cooker extractor fan on full and a widow open followed by Glade plug in freshener . Looking at my tenders at the moment they still don't look Matt, sprayed them 3hrs ago will see what they look like in the morning as they are still abit tacky.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

ROSS said:
Think you have a problem there. Whose varnish did you use?
Testors Dullcote seem to have the edge according to most posts on forums.
It appears in short supply but is available in the UK. It was posted on GSC a week ago on one of the threads.

Hi Richie. I have tried all of the 'non-modeling' sourced matt spray varnishes and non of them is totally matt and also their spray pattern is not very consistent. This is not to do with how they are used, they are just not up to the job of doing fine model work (to be fair they are not aimed at that market).
I now only use Testors Dull coat or Kylon Matt as the nozzle gives a much finer and consistent spray pattern and also a much better finer texture of matt (the pumice particles are finer).
I am now thinking of going over to the dark arts of using an airbrush/compressor as I get through such a lot of the little cans of Testors.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

ROSS said:
I found it excellent for covering inkjet decals before cutting out and dipping in water.
Trouble is my printer (Brother DCP 195C) does not do decals as good as the old Epson.. .and the Brother handbook is useless!

Hi Ross
I have tried the inkjet and the laser paper.
Both are good but I like your tip of giving them a pre-coat of varnish before cutting and wetting. I usually spray after the decals are in situ but a pre-spray would give even more protection as long as they are not going to be put over surface detail like rivets where the varnish might stop the Microsol from working its magic. A thin pre-spray would be great for decals that are going onto a totally smooth surface.

On a slightly different point. I give finished decals that are on buildings etc and are open to the elements and sunlight all year, a few coats of the varnish (to save money the last couple are with Testors) to help with UV filtering so that they don't fade....red (or any colour using the red dye)is the first colour to fade...unless you are the owner of a pigment based printer where the pigment based colour does stand up to UV better. The Epson 'K' inks are the best but even they need help from a few coats of varnish.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag

For those who feel uncomfortable, for whatever reason, using a paint spray can or airbrush  - which includes me - I would mention that I use a good sable artist brushes and apply matt acrylic paint to any model than I wish to repaint.  I usually apply two coats but sometimes a third may be necessary over a darker colour than that being applied.   One advantage is that should any soiling or damage occur it is very easy to remedy or repaint.

I know we have been in the era of 'one coat' paint any professional painter would usually say ' two thin coats are better than one thick one'. ;)

The paints I find useful are those made specifically for military modelers.  Good colour range for those who 'weather' I might add.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag

To help "dry" off paints I pre-heat the oven, not hot, turn it off and put the item in the oven for half an hour. Works a treat for me and I get nice matt finishes.

I also warm the item with a hair dryer prior to painting.

If you spray too much paint on in one go you will get a shinny finish, little and often is the trick

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

I use Graupner matt acrylic fix in spray cans - it may be for aviation modelling but I'm not sure. I do my spraying outside, hot, cold, windy (careful where you stand!) or rain under a pavilion. The stuff works fine everytime. And one can, even at €6 a time, goes a long way. :clap:
:D

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

pugwash said:
I use Graupner matt acrylic fix in spray cans - it may be for aviation modelling but I'm not sure. I do my spraying outside, hot, cold, windy (careful where you stand!) or rain under a pavilion. The stuff works fine everytime. And one can, even at €6 a time, goes a long way. :clap:

Hi Captin'
I have googled Graupner and only get stuff about model boats. Where do you get your Graupner matt spray from?

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek said:
pugwash said:

Hi Captin'
I have googled Graupner and only get stuff about model boats. Where do you get your Graupner matt spray from?

Local model shop, Trier, Germany :D
:eek:nphone:
It looks like you can order direct but have to set up an account first:
http://www.graupner.de/en/products/f2b61193-cfe5-428b-984b-fd5c38f294cd/930.1/product < Link To http://www.graupner.de/en...4cd/930.1/product

If you try in Britain then the product is Graupner Acryl Fix order number 930.1 (this is important, other numbers are colour or gloss) 150ml spray can.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

:eek:nphone: Even better, here they are:
Great Britain
Graupner Service UK
Brunel Drive
GB NEWARK, Nottinghamshire
NG242EG
Tel. (+44) 16 36 61 05 39
Fax. (+44) 16 36 60 52 55
Email: service.uk@graupner.com

:*

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

beavercreek said:
ROSS said:
Think you have a problem there. Whose varnish did you use?
Testors Dullcote seem to have the edge according to most posts on forums.
It appears in short supply but is available in the UK. It was posted on GSC a week ago on one of the threads.

Hi Richie. I have tried all of the 'non-modeling' sourced matt spray varnishes and non of them is totally matt and also their spray pattern is not very consistent. This is not to do with how they are used, they are just not up to the job of doing fine model work (to be fair they are not aimed at that market).
I now only use Testors Dull coat or Kylon Matt as the nozzle gives a much finer and consistent spray pattern and also a much better finer texture of matt (the pumice particles are finer).
I am now thinking of going over to the dark arts of using an airbrush/compressor as I get through such a lot of the little cans of Testors.
Hi Ross & Mike
Got home tonight to find the two tenders are still not completly Matt but do look better would say they have a sheen look . The Matt Varnish that i've used is by WINSOR & NEWTON from my local art shop every thing else that i have sprayed seems ok and given me a nice matt finish it's as if the problems with the tenders but they have been painted with the same red oxide primar as the plow and the flat cars . I don't think i'm going to add any more coats of varnish as i have sprayed four now .

Loco with it's Matt look
52329a9a632a46ad97e0b1ecbb3cb68d.jpg

Pulp wood car sprayed on the same day with the same can
eb335979fe8545bcb75e8e7e43c033d1.jpg