How do you do STRAW in G scale...?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm doing a small rake of LGB Toytrain cattle trucks, and wanting to weather them up a bit and reduce the toylike look - so I thought about strewing some straw around on the floors..... anyone hit on a good way of depicting straw in G scale?

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Mel's (yb281)has some in his cattle wagons, if he's around he might post a piccie or three

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
I used plumbers hemp cut up, it's even the right colour already.

Also good for grass etc. here is a shot of it in place on my old O guage layout to the right of the picture. The "gorse" at the back (above the tunnel) is the same stuff sprayed green with some yellow "flowers" puffed on with a camera lens puffer thingy while the paint was wet.

d1tun8.jpg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I used pieces from a yard broom I picked up for about $8 as Lowe's. There's enough 'straw' to do a whole fleet of cattle wagons and in the meantime it's keeping the workshop floor clean!

5649d1f4326a4b96bf2bd80d7c34e7bb.jpg

faf0368a3cc741e6abd48038e23851b8.jpg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Walk on some real stuff (or get an animal to do it for you) and pick up the little bits

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Martino said:
I used pieces from a yard broom I picked up for about $8 as Lowe's. There's enough 'straw' to do a whole fleet of cattle wagons and in the meantime it's keeping the workshop floor clean!

That looks great Martino - of all the good suggestions here, I think that's the one I like the best!
I just need to look for a broom head with bristles of a suitable colour - lots of them are plastic these days.....

I recall an old quote from some comedy show long ago, along the lines of: "Oi've 'ad this old broom for fifty years now... it's only 'ad four new 'eads and three new 'andles....."

:D

Jon.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Zerogee said:
I recall an old quote from some comedy show long ago, along the lines of: "Oi've 'ad this old broom for fifty years now... it's only 'ad four new 'eads and three new 'andles....."
Jon.

Sounds like the Two Ronnies, to me.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Fork handles!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
To weather my recent addition of a stockyard I cut the fine yellowed dry grass on my lawn with scissors. This gave some really good natural looking 'straw' pieces.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Martino said:

What the wagons need in addition Martino is whitewash dribbled from the floor. It was used to 'disinfect' the walls and floor.
a904ab9f7e224f42a1b3e28eb2e05f63.jpg

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
Martino said:

What the wagons need in addition Martino is whitewash dribbled from the floor. It was used to 'disinfect' the walls and floor.
images

My understanding was that that practice stopped in the 1920s - certainly by '30s! It wasn't just whitewash, but a lime wash that turned out not to be so great for the cattle or the wagon.

I'll see if I can find the source of that info....

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Here we go......

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/in...b.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/04arstock4.htm < Link To http://myweb.tiscali.co.u...-rstock/04arstock4.htm

Scroll down to livestock.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Martino said:
KeithT said:
Martino said:

My understanding was that that practice stopped in the 1920s - certainly by '30s! It wasn't just whitewash, but a lime wash that turned out not to be so great for the cattle or the wagon.

I'll see if I can find the source of that info....

Yep, limewash was found to be a bad idea, it did more harm than good, so they stopped using it.

As previously mentioned, you can buy a big bag of chopped hay from a pet shop for very little which will give you enough for a life time. Real straw would look out of scale IMO, but hay is much finer.

4a6fc18793194bfda2c4c8a02681d785.jpg