How best to cut a Bachmann BH Boxcar?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I am thinking of having a chop at one of these... if I was to do some major cuts in the body which is the best technique for precise cuts? Hacksaw with care? Is there anything easier?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I agree, use a razor saw. Better than (say) a junior hack-saw.

X-Acto is a reasonably well known brand in hobbyist circles, quite often to be found model shops. You can get various depths of blade and teeth pitch.

http://www.xacto.com/Product/X75300

I'd go for a fine pitch (small teeth) and a deep blade.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
mr spockie did hack his bobber caboose with razor saw!! very good and neat!!! wink...

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
If you cut up a Big Hauler boxcar by counting planks from one end, beware. The doors are not opposite each other, but are slightly offset. Decide where you want to cut on one side, but mark with a ruler on the opposite side.

I cut up mine with a razor saw. It may be easier if you get a bit of wood to put inside the body shell to support the body while you are making the cuts.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Yes a razor saw. One thing you can do is scribe the cut line first with several pass with a scalpel or craft knife leaving a moderately deep cut. I find by doing that I can follow the scribed line easier than say a pencil line and I guess the razor saw sort of follows the scribed/cut line than wanders. :)

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Many thnaks for the tips I will let you know how i get on. thanks especially for the tip about the doors not being opposite - would have resulted in some frustration!!

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I chop all my Big Hauler stock with a band saw. Works well enough for me, as I recover all of the original with foil or new plastic skin. Modernisation in progress.
Rod

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Razor saw, and dont cut the groove between the planks, you will have a hard time getting the join even. Much easier to cut down a plank slightly off centre each side to allow for that tiny bit the saw cuts away. It is a small amount, but it is noticable if you cut between the planks or dead centre of a plank.

Here is a pax and baggage car I made from 2 combines using that principle. Cladding as Rod says is an option, easier still as shown below.

coach.jpg

pax.jpg

fb.jpg

bagg.jpg

Bye now