Hobby's Spray Booth feedback

dencol

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Sefton, Merseyside
Best answers
Some time ago I decided to try spray painting using car paints and an airbrush, got to say result much better, but spraying in the shed became a no no, even using a box to catch the overspray particles and spray mask I was ending up with a film of paint over everything. Outdoors was no better as I am too dependent on the weather and I want to spend the winter months making up some of my kits.
As a result started to look at spray booths but the cost appeared to be in the hundreds of pounds and they would take up too much room. Did try making my own but the less said about that the better.:thumbdown:
Having picked up the Hobby?s 2012 Annual I found they are doing a small spray booth for under £90 so though I would give it a try, so far very impressed and as a result thought I would give some feedback on this model in case anyone else is in a similar position.

dencol

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Sefton, Merseyside
Best answers
sorry only posted half the message try again
I Purchased:
Spray booth page 195 code AB500 cost £87.95
Spare filters page 195 code AB501 cost £5.00
Extension hose kit page 195 code AB502 cost £19.00
For some reason the hose kit is shown in the catalogue but not on the website it is however still available. It extends from 70cm to 170cms although if like me you need to bend the hose at right angles you lose about quarter of the overall length. It also comes with exhaust port that can be held in a part open door or window.
Unfortunately I cannot get camera working for some pictures but the link below goes to hobbies page complete with pictures and sizes.
http://hobby.uk.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=AB500&x=10&y=12
The spray booth:
The closed and open sizes are as stated on the website and construction is of a strong plastic type material that should stand up to the occasion knocks and bumps that tools get in my workshop. Most importantly when closed all internal workings are protected and the size is suitable for storage on a shelf etc (see exception re extension hose).
Opening up the spray booth is simple (when I eventually decided to look at the instructions) and takes about 30 seconds making it ideal for those small quick spray jobs. The both also comes with a small manual turntable. The sides and top (again plastic) fold out to form the main body of the booth and are semi transparent helping to supply light to the work area.
Size when open is 48x42x36cm which was more than large enough to accommodate my IP engineering railbus Amy. You can fit two units together to provide a wider unit.
Efficiency of the extractor is excellent and none of the paint spray came back into the workshop. The filter is in fact two seperate filters. I places white next to the outside vent at the end of a spray session the paper was clear with no signs of paint getting out of the filter section.
The unit is relatively quiet when operating.

I added the extension hose which to my mind guarantees no paint fumes in the workshop. If using the hose you only need one of the two filters. You do need to permanently attach a plastic hose sleeve and this extends the depth of the closed unit from 15cm to 26ish cm and in my mind is susceptible to damage if the unit is not stored properly. This sleeve uses the screws that hold the original fan guard and are bit to short. After a lot of fiddling I did get them to hold the hose sleeve but slightly longer screws would have helped. The extension hose when fitted should be secured with a large round jubilee type clamp, but I found a push fit sufficient and meant the hose could be stored separately.

So is it suitable? Well for my needs defiantly and it does what it said on the tin. It?s easy to set up and store, it contains all paint fumes so winter spray painting is a possibility and is large enough for any of the models I have or am planning to build.

Any negatives? Well only one possible niggle and this may be my lack of knowledge of spray booths. But the filter is at the back of the unit (the blue bit on the photo) so when spraying the edge of models I found I was spraying directly onto the filter possibly shortening its life span. Having said that I have just tried placing an ?L? shaped scrap piece of card, slightly larger than the model, between the model and filter to catch the overspray and this does not appear to have had any negative affect on the extractors efficiency.

Regards Colin

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Colin.

Like you originally, I've been using a 'booth' made from an old cardboard carton which doesn't really capture the excess spray so everything in the conservatory ended up with a fine film of spray residue. As you can imagine, this has made me very popular (not!). I had no idea a proper spray booth could be bought relatively cheaply and so will definitely be putting this on my Christmas list.

Thanks

Rik