Help Need to program decoder

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
TUXFORD - NOTTINGHAMSHIRE - ENGLAND.
Best answers
Country flag
I hope you can help me please. I have fitted a ESU decoder into my Bachmann Consolidation, It works fine, but. I use a Massoth navigator set at 24 steps, when I turn the control from 0 to 1 the motor races away, turn from 1 to 2 and all comes back as it should all the way up the scale. On coming down again I get back to number 2 OK then as I turn down to number 1 the motor races away again until I turn to 0. this happens in both directions. I have read the manual but am confused and I don't want to blow another chip. I also have the problem of the front head lamp being on all the time, backwards or forwards. Can you please advice me if you can on what CV's to change and what to change them to.
Many thanks Jeremy, I'm sorry to be a pest but this loco has now been in bits for over two years. I started it before my heart problem and stroke and I get confused so easily now:confused:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Help Need to program decoder

Hi Peter I'll have a look for you.
Take it it is 3.5. I have one fitted to my mikado. Unless others beat me to it

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Philbahn said:
Hi Peter I'll have a look for you.
Take it it is 3.5. I have one fitted to my mikado. Unless others beat me to it

Yes its a 3.5 Thanks Buddy

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
You said Navigator set to 24 steps - did you mean 28 or 14 ?

It might be a problem with the commands staton being set to 28 steps and the decoder set to 14 steps? I get something similar to this happening sometimes with my JMRI throttle and SPROG if I haven't set both to the same steps. The loco races up to full speed on the first few steps then slows down again as I increase the throttle still further.

Assuming you want 28 speed steps, then you need to switch on one of the bits in CV29 (I think it's bit 1, but the naming varies with different decoder manufacturers!) Typically you end up with a value in CV29 which includes the number 2 in the calculation of stuff to add up to create the full CV value. I suggest you check the ESU decoder instructions and Massoth instructions.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Check CV 49 think that should be set to 32 (LGB) mode. That should regulate you speed problem

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Lights got mine set at ;

CV 113 4
114 4
115 4
116 4

Hope that helps Peter. If not come back

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp said:
It might be a problem with the commands staton being set to 28 steps and the decoder set to 14 steps?
I wonder if that could have been the problem with my K27 with a QSI and ESU decoders mismatched to the MTS3? The loco did allsorts of irrational things when the throttle was opened.
In the end both decoders went back,

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

CV 29 I have as 4 also

Normal directiion 0
14 steps 0
28 steps 2
speed curve 0
Analogue on 4

So you should need either 2 or 2+4 =6

Good luck

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Possibly Keirh set to the wrong protocol
KeithT said:
ntpntpntp said:
It might be a problem with the commands staton being set to 28 steps and the decoder set to 14 steps?
I wonder if that could have been the problem with my K27 with a QSI and ESU decoders mismatched to the MTS3? The loco did allsorts of irrational things when the throttle was opened.
In the end both decoders went back,

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

And if all goes wrong don't blame me:happy::happy::happy::happy:

Also CV8 value 8 triggers a full reset

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Many Thanks to you all for your help I have final got the beast running properly.
I e-mailed Jeremy at Dragon. He was so helpful and suggested that my problem was probably that my Hand set was set to 28 steps and the decoder was set on 14. So by changing CV29 from 6 to 4 all problems resolved. Once again THANKS GUYS:party:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Just pleased it is now up and running