Help! How to Change USA Trains GP-30 Shell

Twistofer56

Registered
8 Nov 2022
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
I have a USA Trains GP-30 which runs great. I'd like to remove the current shell (Great Northern Glacier Green/Arctic Orange) and replace it with the CB&Q Red shell. Can someone help me with finding instructions to disassemble and reassemble the unit?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Here is the link to the USA Trains manuals..

You need to remove the tank to get ar some of the screws, and then work your way round.
You need a long shafted screwdriver, and the screws are quite 'cheesy' (soft). A very slight tighten, before trying to undo, can help. - A fraction of a turn.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

Twistofer56

Registered
8 Nov 2022
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag

Here is the link to the USA Trains manuals..

You need to remove the tank to get ar some of the screws, and then work your way round.
You need a long shafted screwdriver, and the screws are quite 'cheesy' (soft). A very slight tighten, before trying to undo, can help. - A fraction of a turn.

PhilP
I did download the manuals. It seemed a bit daunting. Thanks

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The screws are quite deeply set, and you need a decent screwdriver..
A thin shaft allows you to get between the bloc and the side-frames.

Supporting the model whilst you wrestle with the screws, is half the battle.

PhilP

Twistofer56

Registered
8 Nov 2022
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
What's confusing is the shell comes in two parts...It doesn't seem like one replaces only the top half. I'm wondering if you have to disassemble the motors and electronics?
I wish there were instructions...or maybe a tutorial.

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Electronics and motor-blocks hang from the chassis / foot-plate..

You might be able to remove the 'long-hood' without the cab-section, but I am less familiar with the GP30.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Remove the whole hood at one time... you will get short hood, cab, long hood.... after it is apart you can see how you could only remove one part.

Read this, has a disassembly for a USAT GP7, vers similar.

BIG TIP get a screwdriver that is slender enough to get in the holes with clearance. make SURE the tip fits the screw tightly. If you don't do this, you can strip the screwhead and never get the shell off.

After it is apart, a drop of plastic compatible oil on the screw threads will help avoid problems. Do NOT tighten the screws too much, they strip in the plastc EASILY.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
When putting the screws back in, turn them anti-clockwise first..
You will feel/hear a faint 'click' when the leading edge of the screw drops into the threaded plastic.

Avoids creating a new, weaker thread in the plastics.

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
When putting the screws back in, turn them anti-clockwise first..
You will feel/hear a faint 'click' when the leading edge of the screw drops into the threaded plastic.

Avoids creating a new, weaker thread in the plastics.

PhilP
Good advice that applies in general to all "self-tapers" especially in plastic, and can apply when generally mating two threaded items.

Twistofer56

Registered
8 Nov 2022
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Electronics and motor-blocks hang from the chassis / foot-plate..

You might be able to remove the 'long-hood' without the cab-section, but I am less familiar with the GP30.

PhilP
That's what I was afraid of. The foot-plate & chassis seems to be my concern. The parts came with the top (aka cab section) and FOOT-PLATE, since the prototype is all red.

Before disassembling anything, I want to know what I'm getting into. :wait: