NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
Problem with Massoth Reverse Loop Module
Hi

I have had a reverse loop module on my LGB MTS system for many years and it has worked well.

Recently the unit stopped working, the problem is that there is no voltage in the reverse loop. When the voltage is measured on the module there is 24V on the IN, 0 V on the OUT, 0 V on SENS IN.

Any suggestions as to why it has stopped working

Using the diodes and the sensor track. No corrosion visible in unit.

Any help much appreciated

Nigel

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunaty, most likely repair will be hard to isolate the fault... you could try triggering the reverser and seeing if power is being supplied to the coil of the relay (I do believe there is a relay)...

Greg

NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunaty, most likely repair will be hard to isolate the fault... you could try triggering the reverser and seeing if power is being supplied to the coil of the relay (I do believe there is a relay)...

Greg
Thanks Greg,
Amazing speed of response.
Passing a loco over the sensor sections did not change anything. If that is what you meant by triggering the reverser.
I have removed the module from the track and I'm in the process of building a test reverse loop in my garage.

Thanks

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds interesting and welcome. Could you send some pictures please.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Was the unit located outside with little protection for weather?

NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
I have disconnected the module from the track and I'm in the process of building a test loop. Sorry no pictures

NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
Was the unit located outside with little protection for weather?
The unit was outside and contained inside a "waterproof" box. The box is completely dry and I can not see any corrosion on any of the terminals or wires

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Do you leave the power on all the time?

If so, the slightest bit of damp in the unit, will allow the pcb tracks to migrate (electrolysis).
It can only take one tiny break, for a device to fail.

I would take the unit apart, and examine it closely.

PhilP

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I just had a reverse loop module failure, but it turned out to be a wiring issue. A wire had come adrift from the terminal block inside the 1015 T double-break insulating track terminal block. However this didn't resolve the fault and I eventually discovered that a fox had chewed through the cable.

Replacing the cable cured the problem, but I've also decided to attach the wires to track clamps instead of inside the 1015T, as sometimes the screws on the terminal blocks go rusty, and they are difficult to access.

I note that you use diodes with your reverse loop modules but I'm not sure why? I used diodes with DC, but after upgrading to MTS and then Massoth these are not required. I'm not quite sure how the MTS reversing modules work, but having heard a clicking inside them whilst in use, I assume that they use a relay to reverse the polarity....

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As I understand LGB and MTS reverse modules are pretty similar in the way they work. A short is detected and the clever circuitry instantly does whatever it does to reverse the polarity likely by changing a latching relay till the next short detection. Philip has described better than I could the issues outside. One of my friends lines has a Massoth unit located inside a dry shed and if possible this is the way to go, longish runs of wire should not be an issue.

NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
Do you leave the power on all the time?

If so, the slightest bit of damp in the unit, will allow the pcb tracks to migrate (electrolysis).
It can only take one tiny break, for a device to fail.

I would take the unit apart, and examine it closely.

PhilP
Hi Philip,
Most of the electronics is sealed in some sort of resin like material so you can not get at that. All the terminals look fine, any connecting wires look OK. Now I have the unit out I will take a closer look.

NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
I just had a reverse loop module failure, but it turned out to be a wiring issue. A wire had come adrift from the terminal block inside the 1015 T double-break insulating track terminal block. However this didn't resolve the fault and I eventually discovered that a fox had chewed through the cable.

Replacing the cable cured the problem, but I've also decided to attach the wires to track clamps instead of inside the 1015T, as sometimes the screws on the terminal blocks go rusty, and they are difficult to access.

I note that you use diodes with your reverse loop modules but I'm not sure why? I used diodes with DC, but after upgrading to MTS and then Massoth these are not required. I'm not quite sure how the MTS reversing modules work, but having heard a clicking inside them whilst in use, I assume that they use a relay to reverse the polarity....
I have put together a reversing loop in the garage. I'm making a couple of Track Sensor systems from the LGB yellow track isolators. Using all new wiring, removing the diodes and connecting the Track Sensor bits directly into the module. Basically that only leaves the 8157001 module not changed. If fault continues I will buy a replacement.
The Massoth manual states "diode installation for improved operation"
The Massoth 8157001 does not use 1015T
Cheers
Nigel

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If the board is 'potted', or there is a conformal coating, then it should be fine.
It may not have liked last year's excessive temperatures. Especially if you ran anything those very hot days? - Mad dogs, and English men.. ;):sweating::D

PhilP

NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
If the board is 'potted', or there is a conformal coating, then it should be fine.
It may not have liked last year's excessive temperatures. Especially if you ran anything those very hot days? - Mad dogs, and English men.. ;):sweating::D

PhilP
Survived the hot summer, working a month ago. So a recent failure

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I have disconnected the module from the track and I'm in the process of building a test loop. Sorry no pictures
Ok. We like pictures. Send some of anything. We are not fussy. A picture says a thousand words...see

Attachments

• PXL_20230523_161858120.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230523_161858120.MP.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 1

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ok. We like pictures. Send some of anything. We are not fussy. A picture says a thousand words...see
Yes, but train orientated photos, not just anything. :(

NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone, especially Phil, pictures attached, not sure if they add to the discussion. Pics 1&2 show outside loop from 2 views. Pics 3 & 4 show outdoor connections. 5th Pic shows my attempt at a track sensor, same size as Massoth. Pic 6 loop in garage made from spare track, Final pic is the track sensor in place. Unfortunately only had 4 insulator block so have to wait for delivery of extra isolators
Thanks for all your interest
Pic 7 for the non train lovers

Attachments

• SANY0012.JPG
    SANY0012.JPG
    639.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0011.JPG
    SANY0011.JPG
    677.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0009.JPG
    SANY0009.JPG
    638.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0010.JPG
    SANY0010.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0001.JPG
    SANY0001.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0006.JPG
    SANY0006.JPG
    514.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0008.JPG
    SANY0008.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 0
  • holiday 4.JPEG
    holiday 4.JPEG
    785 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It won't sort out your problem, but you really ought to run the wire through some sort of conduit, even if it just saves the insulation from breaking down in the sun

NG Retired

Registered
21 May 2023
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi to everyone that tried to help
After trying the suggestions from Massoth and making no progress have decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new unit.
Thanks
Nigel