Hello From Vectis

ian g

Registered
18 Oct 2015
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Well Vectis is the Roman name for the Isle of Wight which is in the solent betwen Portsmouth and Southampton. A beautiful Island famous for its sailing at Cowes and also boasting a wonderful vintage railway.

I live in Freshwater and a year ago started building a G Scale line called Freshwater Bear. Its now run 70 feet down the garden fence and I am now facing the joy of the corner construction. Photos on another time. I'm disabled and 65 so its a long term project but fun after being with narrow gauge 32mm in my previous home. Look forward to finding a few answers to some of my problems in the forums.

Ian

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. Loads of ideas and help here.

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ian, my wife's family were from Freshwater,her Grandmother ran a B+B from her house on The Avenue.She died many years ago but we still visit the island some summers,it's a lovely place and some day I hope to retire there.
Good luck and best wishes to your ongoing project
Steve:)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Ian... when I spotted your thread title my first thought was that somebody from the well known auction house had signed up.... ! ;)

Anything we can help with, just ask away..... :)

Jon.

Reactions: 1 users

Alan-1956

Registered
22 Sep 2015
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Hello Ian,
Pretty sure you will get a great deal from this Forum, I know I have in the short time I have been here.
Like you have medical issues and good to see they are not stopping you from enjoying your life.

Take care mate and welcome

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Ian

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A welcome from me too!

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Ian,

Not been to the island for about 5 years since my stepdaughter moved back to the mainland when she became pregnant.

Last edited:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Same as Jon, I thought this was the auction house signing up to give us a heads-up on their latest G scale stuff!

Ah yes, the Izzle of Wiggit.

Had a splendid honeymoon there back in ...er..... '87 (had to think about that for a moment, I'm not good at anniversaries and stuff!) Vaguely remember visiting a model railway, the Needles were all fogged up when we went there, but best memory is we bought a couple of mint-boxed Triang TT sets from an antique shop (now proudly on show in my display case). Had some strange looks from the hotel reception when I enquired about the nearest place to buy some batteries!

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag
The model railway is at Fort Victoria and is a large continental layout, last time I visited they were building a UK layout and model fairground too.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Ian.
Last time I was in Isle of Wight was in 1969 and 1970 ...for the festival.....great times, great music!

Last edited:

ian g

Registered
18 Oct 2015
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Definitely not an auction link nippur! Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
Ian G