Hello from Brighton, England

ChalkyW64

Registered
6 Jun 2019
Porthmadog, North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hello. I live near Brighton (England) and am very new to G Scale having only just purchased my first 2nd-hand LGB starter set with additional track and rolling stock from a friend. Until now I have only modelled in 2mm N gauge (using fiNetrax track/point-kits) and 4mm (P4) - so G scale will be purely for fun rather than any serious modelling. I currently have an elongated oval with station loop and a few sidings - whether this develops into anything bigger will be dictated by how large a house I have in the future!

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome! Fun is exactly right, I don't model anything but I have huge fun playing trains in all sorts of scales.

Paul

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Chalky....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
..... whether this develops into anything bigger will be dictated by how large a house I have in the future!
Oh, you will have a house with a large garden, believe me ;);)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the house of fun...

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Chalky! Ask anything you want, someone will come up with a sensible answer (along with several silly ones, usually...) ;)

You'll find that most of us are in it for the fun, generally there is much more of an "anything goes, it's your railway" attitude than is often the case with other scales/gauges!

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Chalky. The best way to start is small, then there's always room for expansion

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Chalky welcome to the forum from Somerset.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Chalky..
Funny things happen on the Forum.. Occasionally, someone asks a question.. Usually, the first-few answers can be sensible,
Then the fun begins! :rolleyes:;):nod::nod:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Colonial greetings.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Chalky. The best way to start is small, then there's always room for expansion

Oi, he did start small..... 2mm is microscopic stuff.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Oi, he did start small..... 2mm is microscopic stuff.

I think the OP means 2mm/ft scale (N gauge), rather than 2mm GAUGE - which would be even smaller than T (3mm gauge)..... ;)

Then again, I had Z (and still do) before G, as did several other folks here I believe.

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. As the other members have eluded to, we love to have fun here and that means poking fun at one another including ourselves.....:rofl:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I think the OP means 2mm/ft scale (N gauge), rather than 2mm GAUGE - which would be even smaller than T (3mm gauge)..... ;)

Then again, I had Z (and still do) before G, as did several other folks here I believe.

Jon.

Oh, that blasted English language again. Over here if you say you model in 2mm (or 9mm, which is popular) it is a given that you mean mm to the foot.
9mm/foot scale uses O gauge track to represent 3'6" railways.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, that blasted English language again. Over here if you say you model in 2mm (or 9mm, which is popular) it is a given that you mean mm to the foot.
9mm/foot scale uses O gauge track to represent 3'6" railways.
Yes, back here in the mother country, modelling in 2mm can imply finescale 2mm:1ft, as opposed to n gauge (or 9 mm gauge) which is rather coarse as far as wheel standards are concerned - I'm sure the modellers themselves are perfectly refined fellows and in no way coarse ;);)

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. You'll be surprised at some of the serious and skilled modelling that can and does go on around here. That and the fidelity of some of the product out there that can satisfy your needs for the more "prototypical"...........once you get past LGB's and others' famous rubber rulers. Then there is always the fun of cultivating the garden, for that suitable setting, that your line will live in. But most of all sit back and enjoy the trains run by......and dream of what is to come. Max