Harz Railways Bookzines, Books and others of interest

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Now, is that first shot a spiral to gain height (a la Festiniog), or just a ballon loop to turn the train?

Either way, would make a nice micro layout, with a fiddle yard out of sight to the right..

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Now, is that first shot a spiral to gain height (a la Festiniog), or just a ballon loop to turn the train?

Either way, would make a nice micro layout, with a fiddle yard out of sight to the right..
It's the loop at Stiege Station, installed to let coal trains run direct without running round and still used a fair bit today.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It's the loop at Stiege Station, installed to let coal trains run direct without running round and still used a fair bit today.

Oh dear!
A micro German NG coal-train.. This could be time-consuming, and expensive! :eek::rolleyes:;)

Luckily(??) I do not think my modelling skills are up to it!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Bad boy tantalising me, not supposed to be buying any more books. Not due to swmbo none present at the moment. Just lack of space on the bookshelves. Perhaps if I junk a load of my old books I may fit some in. More mags could also be razored. There you see I am justifying getting it already!
JonD

There is no such thing as "too many books"........ only too few bookshelves...... ;)

Jon.

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There is no such thing as "too many books"........ only too few bookshelves...... ;)

Jon.

Errrr....
Although it is (mainly) she who keeps buying them, I am not sure my SW would agree..
;):lipssealed::giggle::giggle:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think you'll be impressed :) oh and there's an arty, very German 'arty', Witches pic on page 166 :0)

Thanks again for the review of this book, Paul - my copy turned up today (gotta love Amazon Prime...) and it's just as impressive as you said - really superb pictures and the aerial views are genuinely useful from the modeller's standpoint as well as looking stunning.....
Oh and I found the Witches..... :devil:

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, double-post which was my fault (forum slow to upload my post, thought it hadn't worked so clicked it again.....).

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear!
A micro German NG coal-train.. This could be time-consuming, and expensive! :eek::rolleyes:;)

Luckily(??) I do not think my modelling skills are up to it!
Not quite so bad as you think, tended to be 3-5 Wagons on Rollwagens. All can be done with RTR kit. Probably expensive though. Pic at Stiegge prior to running round the loop to head for Silberhutte behind me taking the pic.
image.jpeg
The Wagons did not always carry Coal but served varying sites in the Selktalbahn including up to Harzegerode for Truck Engines and quite likely the Ally Ingots to make them with. The loop was built to save on Transporting from SG to NG at Gernrode. Whether the scheme ever saved much money is debatable, it would certainly have save on time and probably allowed the SG line from Quedlinberg to be close prior to being reopened by the HSB many years later. All of this is now in the past except for the odd bit of Ore being loaded from quarries near here. Also of course HSB still get odd pway bits on SG Wagons using Rollblocks, Rollwagen get used on occasion for Traditional Photo Shoots.
JonD

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the additional info Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing really to do with the Harz other than my mate bought it for me when visiting Wernigerode recently.

Lokstationen.

This is a super little bookzine with all sorts of shapes and sizes for Locosheds. Contains some Shed Building Drawings as well both SG and NG. All small Sheds with no massive Roundhouses. Also at the back many interesting Station Layouts Plans showing how Locosheds have fitted in the location/station concerned. One that really cought my attention was in East Germany where at the end of the runround was not a point but a turntable with 3 tracks. One to the Locoshed and the other two to the Platform Roads with the Shed for a modest size loco being right next to the platform, even better was the picture taken in probably around early reunification of East and West days of a 202 using the Turntable to run round its train. The complete train could probably be replicated for Standard Gauge G Scale with Piko products. The Turntable probably not so easily, but perhaps the LGB one could be used.
image.jpg
Well worth the punt of you can get it.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
As this thread appears to have had a few drifts I thought it appropriate to add to the title. So now I can post about this one that I bought at the Show in Stevenage yesterday.
image.jpeg
The Title says it all really price £15. Not too bad a buy as there are lots of interesting pics and some good detail of the varying NG lines within. However it does not include every Austrian NG line and sadly Doug's favourite Ybbstalbahn is not included. Another problem I found was that the Map does not give the Lines Name whereas the Index and rear sections about the full status of all lines and the ones not inculded does. I found that this makes research somewhat harder so I will probably print a copy of the Map and put the varying line names against the relavent part of the Map. A small niggly thing perhaps but a major irritant to the avid researcher.

Reactions: 1 users

Alexander0654

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Schoeneck, France
Best answers
Country flag
Well thanks a lot. I think I will stop visiting this forum as it cost me far to much money :sweating:

Just bought Lokstationen for 12,50 euros on eval-bay Germany and 3 books covering French Narrow Gauge from Amazon Germany 39 euros.

Must learn not to succumb to temptation or build more book shelves :D:D

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing really to do with the Harz other than my mate bought it for me when visiting Wernigerode recently.

Lokstationen.

This is a super little bookzine with all sorts of shapes and sizes for Locosheds. Contains some Shed Building Drawings as well both SG and NG. All small Sheds with no massive Roundhouses. Also at the back many interesting Station Layouts Plans showing how Locosheds have fitted in the location/station concerned. One that really cought my attention was in East Germany where at the end of the runround was not a point but a turntable with 3 tracks. One to the Locoshed and the other two to the Platform Roads with the Shed for a modest size loco being right next to the platform, even better was the picture taken in probably around early reunification of East and West days of a 202 using the Turntable to run round its train. The complete train could probably be replicated for Standard Gauge G Scale with Piko products. The Turntable probably not so easily, but perhaps the LGB one could be used.
View attachment 225174
JonD
I have a copy on its way from Germany

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
U
I have a copy on its way from Germany
You will not be dissapointed, I got mine from a friend that had been on a Photo Charter to the Harz. I asked him to get me a copy and paid him in Euro's that I had kicking around after my last trip to Europe, the Baie de Somme with a couple of G Centralers.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Picked up a new book on the HSB, Zug in die Wolken, Olaf Haensch

Lots of super winter shots

Some more arty but interesting shots

Lots more good conventional pictures but also a good selection of interesting new angles

And what sets this book apart from the others I have are plenty of aerial shots brilliant for modelling.

Around €39, not cheap, but for the money a great book if you're a Harz enthusiast. I got it from Germany on eBay in 4 days well wrapped.
Very pleased with it.
Paul your pics have run off, any chance of loading them direct please?

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
U

You will not be dissapointed, I got mine from a friend that had been on a Photo Charter to the Harz. I asked him to get me a copy and paid him in Euro's that I had kicking around after my last trip to Europe, the Baie de Somme with a couple of G Centralers.
Hi Jon,

Many thanks for drawing this to my attention. It will add to my collection. I am enjoying reading the new book on the Spreewald at the moment. A Christmas present from younger daughter.

Regards

MTheStrong

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently found out about the varying French Minor Railways and Steam Tramways books that Peter Smith has been producing. Having a few original French ones I thought that an English Version would be of interest to me. There are one or two English Text French Books on this subject but they are few and far between till Peter started tickling the Ivories. Oh he is the same guy of the G Scale French Light Railway that posted many moons ago probably in the Mad days for information about French Lines. Looks like he has been doing a lot of research.

Ordered from Amazon and whilst their service is second to none for Delivery etc, the ordering was a complete pain. What they did was to Invoice each one separately which caused my Bank to go whoooooo Scam. So phone call to them to find my Credit and Debits Cards all stopped. Then to Amazon to see what on earth was going on and to find out how the order was progressing. Then on today’s delivery each bookzines packed separately which then involved lots of checking to see what has and has not arrived that was paid for. On my reckoning I am still waiting for 5 more which will involve another trip to the Post Office to collect, really there must be a better way.

So some pictures of what I have so far got. 12 packets for 16 Bookzines here.
82CDDAAA-2C94-4D90-9EBE-9C2C943529FB.jpeg
I will not attempt to describe each one, but on a quick glance there are a good set of Pics with some Timetables and Maps in some of them. The first 3 in this pic are A5 size.

One in particular that I was pleased to find was the one on Thones to Annecy Tramway, a Steam Tram line that is of great interest as I never even knew it existed and have been to Annecy. What a delightful place it is and if only this line were still open........

Peter has chosen his inspirations for Modeller’s well as I believe the one in Chapter 8 has appeared in Continental Modeller as a minimum space G Scale Layout.
A06BB8F7-CB13-4026-A9DE-0F674E90E428.jpeg
The rest of these re A4 size. I am awaiting Vol 3 of the 1 and 2 below.
A58E2E8B-8FBD-46C8-AFEF-E62F86BC95A6.jpeg

B905DF85-311F-4544-8BA5-FB7528CE638B.jpeg

FAEA9444-B311-4E12-81D0-9487AE480A9D.jpeg

8185C88E-A725-48D0-8446-6B3F10484A0B.jpeg
As you can see he has done a lot of producing with this little lot. If you are interested in French Railways for a prototype for your G Scale empire with a Corpet or two you could do a lot worse than a couple of these. At between 9 and 19 squid they will not break the Bank either. Will have a lot of reading to catch up with!

Reactions: 2 users

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag

Lokstationen.

View attachment 225174
JonD
Hi Jon,

I have now received my copy. What a great issue. Has lots of useful information. Thanks for recommending it to me.

Regards

MTheStrong

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Further to my notes about the Peter Smith Bookzines. I have had time to flick though them all and there is indeed lots of new information to me in spite of my extensive collection of French Produced Books. The ones by Peter are not on Glossy paper but the Phots have been pretty well produced in spite of that. Though many are of a Sepia Type of image. There are also in some of the Bookzines interesting Drawings, Line Diagrams, Station Diagrams and in just one so far Gradient Diagrams.

Last edited:

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Paul your pics have run off, any chance of loading them direct please?
Jon
Photobucket killed the links and I'm not paying them £400 so I've taken some new ones as I have lost the originals as I closed the account.
Post updated :)