Gutted, dropped my pride and joy :-(

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I dropped (don't ask) the LGB White Pass diesel. Luckliy, it runs absolutely fine- but the park switch on top doesn't work anymore.

Because I have a simple system I rely on this when I leave it in a siding etc. any ideas?

Ian

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
if you use it on your railway only
you could put and isolating switch in it's just an idea!!
and i know how you feel my freinds scartch built steam loco dropt for a layout 3-4 ft up in the air and smashed to bits....... its all better now :)

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
We can't mean the same one as it is definately LGB original, in the instructions etc. For clarity I upload a pic. If you pull off the square looking air vent box thing on the roof nearest the cab off you will find the three way switch- lights and motors on, lights off and motors on, or park.

Anyway I guess it is just dismantle and look for a snapped wire. I have some lead in it which may have come loose and snapped something. at least it goes for now, sure i can rig something up if it comes to it!!

Tac, be interested to know if you have these switches but hadn't realised- I might have been useful to someone else for once :D

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i would imagine its a standard lgb switch and could be found
so sorry for you

had a nasty board to concrete floor drop mesef a while back-much much worse damage (broken rod crank, and gear box and a few other little goodies on my only days old forney) -but was lucky enough to find parts-you will too

tac ill bet youre surprised-clever those germans eh!!??

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Must admit that in over 30 years of G scaling I have never really bothered to use the onboard switches

In my analogue days i installed isolating sections, and these days with digital the concept of having to isolate locos is not nescessary.

I am sure though that your WP&Y loco problem can be overcome it is probably as you say just a broken connection or even a plug come loose.

When the WP&Y loco was released many years ago I had one of the first batch, and that was a real problem loco, the PCBs had a fault on them which caused the light bulbs to blow quickly, LGB were very good though htye offered to re install corrected PCBs in the loco, if it returned it to Germany at their expense, but I agreed to do the jhob my self so they sent me around 6 replacment boards !! and a BIG bag of bulbs! The new board worked fine and that loco covered many miles before I eventually sold it!!

littletone

Land Rover 101, Golf
25 Oct 2009
Sutton, Surrey, just south of London
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ian,
I also have the same model of Alco which I have converted with a Massoth XLS. Mine had the 3 wire gearbox. If you find the PCB is damaged, then I have one which came out of mine. You are welcome to this as its just sitting around. I think I may have robbed 2 conecters off it. The markings on the PCB are: Massoth-Elekronik LGB 2055-91-1.

Tony...

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hey Tony that is really kind. I hope to get inside it this weekend and comeback to you. I bought mine recently it must be 20 years old. However I am not sure it had EVER been used! So far so good. I paid less than £300 and it means I can fulfill my long train urges which the u class can't really live up to. Quite fancy another as hey would look great doubled up!!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Anyway minor victory had it all apart during a workshop session and found a couple of bent pins were shorting. So all fixed. Did it with my small boys, I got absorbed and turned round to find one of the other healthy engines being studiously dismantled! Arghhhh. Bless em.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Oh dear Woolman, that sounds terriible. I guess a model like that is much more vulnerable to a drop. Mine I guess is really a big strong plastic box at the end of the day!

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:( My tale of woe....My LGB feildbahn had a 'foreign' funnel, so I sent off to LGB for the version I wanted. I then promptly took the loco along to the opening of a another layout. After a while, I thought, where's me loco. Turns out that the worn skates had picked a crook rail joint and took a dive down a 3' bank. When I picked it up, to my dismay, the funnel had busted off...and no sort of glue would put it back together. LGB (bless them) had the bit replaced within 7 days (that's from half way around the world). And the offending skates, they were taken off for replacement, then I found the engine actually hauled more without them. :banghead:

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
Gavin Sowry - 23/11/2009 10:10 PM :( My tale of woe....My LGB feildbahn had a 'foreign' funnel, so I sent off to LGB for the version I wanted. I then promptly took the loco along to the opening of a another layout. After a while, I thought, where's me loco. Turns out that the worn skates had picked a crook rail joint and took a dive down a 3' bank. When I picked it up, to my dismay, the funnel had busted off...and no sort of glue would put it back together. LGB (bless them) had the bit replaced within 7 days (that's from half way around the world). <font color="#0000cc"><em><font size="2">And the offending skates, they were taken off for replacement, then I found the engine actually hauled more without them.</font></em></font> :banghead:
</p><p> </p><p><font color="#003366"><font size="3"><font face="comic sans ms,sand">As they say Gavin, ' every cloud has a silver lining' :applause: </font></font></font>
</p>

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:timeout: Pride and Joy, Part II. My Bachmann Davenport steamer took to the concrete, nearly, one day. I picked it up by the dome (not realising that it actually came off). Well, the dome came off, and the rest of the loco obeyed Sir Isaac' s laws of physics. My immediate reaction was to stick my foot out and break its fall. Fortunately, the only thing that broke was the coupler mount. Good football skills * :applause: Not such a good trick when I dropped a sharp knife, and stuck my foot out (natural reaction). Luckily, brain engaged faster than aforesaid Isaac could change his rules. :applause:

* For footy skills try this...blow your whistle, wave hands towards chest, yell 'come 50' then sprint 50 metres BACKWARDS....Corgi can elaborate.

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, aerial ping-pong, otherwise known as Aussie Rules.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Gavin Sowry - 24/11/2009 10:36 AM

:timeout: Pride and Joy, Part II. My Bachmann Davenport steamer took to the concrete, nearly, one day. I picked it up by the dome (not realising that it actually came off). Well, the dome came off, and the rest of the loco obeyed Sir Isaac' s laws of physics. My immediate reaction was to stick my foot out and break its fall. Fortunately, the only thing that broke was the coupler mount. Good football skills * :applause: Not such a good trick when I dropped a sharp knife, and stuck my foot out (natural reaction). Luckily, brain engaged faster than aforesaid Isaac could change his rules. :applause:

* For footy skills try this...blow your whistle, wave hands towards chest, yell 'come 50' then sprint 50 metres BACKWARDS....Corgi can elaborate.

As simon@MGR says Aussie Rules (pun, we do rule) and the fella blowing the whistle is always on the other teams side. :thinking: