Gunderson 60 foot box car

phishplatephan

Model Railways; W.R Diesel Hydraulics; American Ra
3 Dec 2009
Ruislip, West London
Best answers
Hi, This is my first attempt at scratch building rolling stock for my garden railway.

Its based around a length of 6mm perspex 610mm by 98mm with 2mm styrene sides, ends and roof. The underside framework is a mixture of 11.1mm and 6.3mm 'I' beam with brass rod for air pipe work. I've used USA Trains R-T-R bogies and they are mounted using 6.3mm O.D. brass tube with a 5mm machine screw through the middle secured in place by solder. I bought a 'HO' Gunderson freight car and, using digital calipers, times all the measurements by three. The model is an 'EXCESS HEIGHT' car (above 15') and you can see the difference when compared to the 53' Evans box car from Aristocraft.

This is my Winter project (I have all the stuff to start building the garden railway from the Spring).

Does anyone have and pointers for painting? What paint can I use on Styrene without dissolving it?

If this car is successful I plan to build a 60' Gondola car and maybe even a Steel Coil car. I just wish Aristocraft and USA Trains produced some more in variety of modern freight cars.

fa6fd1c50cd241d592358ee004a1fa7f.jpg

1bb5cde9dd324373bdff85503f8226a4.jpg

996effe45ee24f0b89158bd85f4dc604.jpg

f29c3c4d8bc34456841607956db36508.jpg

This is also my first posting so hopefully the pictures will come through.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work - and good to see something a bit different.

Car enamel spray paints are OK on styrene, or any of the model spray paints.

Use a primer first - grey is the easiest.

If you fancy a yellow colouor, yellow is a pigment that doesn't cover very well. lots of very fine coats with a decent waiting time in between -- otherwise you'll do what I did, and get the paint running - too impatient is me trouble :rolleyes:

phishplatephan

3 Dec 2009
Ruislip, West London
Best answers
Thanks very much. I had visions of 4 months of evening work melting in front of my eyes. I only get a half hour a night to do modelling........ except when East Enders is an hour long episode!!

I did think of Yellow as a side colour like a Rail Box car. Perhaps a Dark(ish) Green may suit better and might hide minor discrepancies.

It'll probably take another month or two before I'm ready to paint as I need some more styrene and plan to get it at the St. Albans model Railway exhibition on 16th January.

I'm off to the USA train spotting again near Easter for more inspiration! (No wife..... No Kids...... just me...... and BIG BIG trains!!)
m9.gif

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
That is a very nice build, I look forward to seeing the finished product.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Steve,

Nice looking and BIG car. The only paint to avoid is cellulose which can melt styrene; most rattle cans now are an acrylic mix. All the replies say most of it - I would add that don't forget to give the model a good wash (with soap for preference - detergents can have silcone in them, and you do not want that left on the surface) to ensure that there are no loose parts, and ensure the surface is clean of marks/grease etc.

It is also far better to have some warmth in the atmosphere thinking of todays's weather!

Good luck (eventually) with the painting

Yours Peter

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Oh and one last thing, its so old we all forget, try on a piece of scrap, the same sort of styrene ypu used, and see if it is ok. At the risk of stating the obvious, this is true of all painting.

Best

Rod

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center] [h4]Thats a very big car, the underframe detail is excellent and the use of a stock ho car, is an idea that I have not heard of before ,(but thats nothing new for me!)I was thinking about building a few bethgons and set up a factory line to build three at a time, now I seen how I can research a prototype, and have the data in my hand as well, Thanks very much for sharing that info, and the pictures of your modelling, super smashing champion great.Pete
[/h4]
I
[/align]

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very nice work for your first build can't wait to see it painted:clap: Not sure if you have seen these two freight cars on the USAT Web site a 60ft steel box car and a Bi-level Auto Carrier these should go nice with your build .
9726aa738f9b407cba76d2937db24acd.jpg

1f8edd98a214420cbb8d360e1aa08b81.jpg

phishplatephan

3 Dec 2009
Ruislip, West London
Best answers
Hi, I have seen these are coming from USA Trains. I'll probably have a couple (more if I can get away with it!!), I want the car carrier as well but I hate to think what the centre throw and end throw will be.

On my last visit to the USA I noticed the different heights on some cars, I don't think these 60'ers from USA Trains are EXCESS HEIGHT - no doubt they'll come.

In the meantime I've pressed on with my box car...... and started my Gondola based on the same construction methods.

One thing I was 'worried' about was getting an accurate Hand Brake wheel. I concidered asking Aristo for some off their spare parts list.

But when in Hobby Craft with my missus looking at BUTTONS I found the answer!! I bought a packet of Snap Fasteners (£1.59 for 4) and when pulled apart they become 2 x 17mm O.D hand brake wheels!! One side leaves a short stump 4.9mm O.D. and so I drilled a 4.8Mm O D hole, popped in some glue and pushed it home and it was a perfect snug fit.

I've put some pix on a Flickr site of my USA holiday and some of the Freight Car under construction if anyone is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phishplatephan/sets/

Regards,

Mark

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Looking really good Mark, keep it up:)

All the best,
Gavin

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice Mark. I am in a similar process myself, building modern U.S. outline rolling stock. Look forward to seeing your gundy painted.
Rod