GRS plastic fencing and crossing gates - to paint or not to paint...

BrianC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Beds/Herts, UK
Best answers
... and if so, with what?
Title says it all really.

We bought said items at the 16mm show at Stoneleigh at the weekend and although not ready to install them yet, I opened them up to check and noticed that the instructions said they should be painted if used outside. I assume this is to provide a degree of UV protection, but as I want them in white anyway, I'm wondering whether it is worth the effort of painting them. Has anyone had experience of the longevity of these items (or similar) in the great outdoors if left 'au naturelle'?

If it is essential to paint them, then what is the best/easiest paint to use? I'm thinking of a cheap car aerosol (e.g. Halfords, Holts, etc), as I don't fancy brush-painting such fiddly items.

robbieg96

Music, Film, Steam Railways, Roller Hockey
6 Jan 2010
Berkshire
Best answers
Brian,

I have used these fences on my railway and have painted them using Halfords car spray paints. I used grey primer first, and then applied a colour paint on top. (i used Lada Cream as its a good match for Southern Railway cream). Then when dry, i sprayed the fences with 3 coats of halfords clear spray lacquer. These fences have survived for a year so far, in the sun and the snow.

Good tip, don't spray the fences on newspaper, as when they dry some of the paper sticks to them. I used an old plank of wood.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I personally prefer to use Acrylic spray or pot paints.

Plastic looks less plasticky when painted....