GRS body kits

bazzer42

oo 80's, WW1, Rupert Bear, beer
1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Best answers
Guilt trip for not posting more progress on projects. I had fallen in love with the GRS 0-4-0 body when one came up on ebay made up and set up on an essel chassis. The price was less than kit and chassis combined so..
1ed86fe3439c4958805bf74c29eff890.jpg

The kit was well put together and the painting to a good standard but not a livery I would have chosen. There was no glazing and I thought the buffer beam needed some detail. Earlier in the thread somebody commented that they were an aid to scratch building and there were a couple of joints that even milliput wasn't going to work its magic.
The rebuild has got this far. I'm waiting for some Army Painter pure red to do the buffer beams and I have multi height couplings to give it a more workman like feel. Painted black they should give a nice contrast to the red. Incidentally the green is AP Angel Green that I think looks good with their Daemonic Yellow. I have done a schoema in these colours and was pleased how that turned out. I think this will be "house" livery for diesel traction.
d35200dc04de4c198699596019a2086a.jpg
f04a43af2df6492aa36f3b18ec93b2a6.jpg

During the rebuild a wire/resistor has come detatched from somewhere. The "funnel" is a speed controller and I think it has come away from the third tab that has nothing on it. If anybody has a wiring diagram or even a suggestion where I can stick my resistor they would be gratefully received. Any tips on fitting glazing without smearing would also be welcome.
d35200dc04de4c198699596019a2086a.jpg
f04a43af2df6492aa36f3b18ec93b2a6.jpg

jimmytrains_0

Registered
16 Dec 2009
Ealing
Best answers
Country flag
Tip on smear less glazing wear some surgical gloves and before preparing glazing wash in washing up liquid allow to dry in air and use the gloves when handling the glazing. Just like you were taught in the wood working classes at school. the natural oils in your fingers give the effect of heavy breathers. use the lest amount of "super Glue" enough to tac the glazing in. walk away...

bazzer42

1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Best answers
Thanks Andy (?) I only finished 1 hour ago, ok'ish I was happy using liquid cement until I discovered some of the frames were whitemetal under the paint.
I only had to rebuild one window when the super glue went crazy. I also managed to smear the paintwork so need a respray later today.
I think the washing tip would have been a good one to follow.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
We used to use a liquid floor polish for fixing glazing. Washed it over the entire window and it gave a better impression of glass. Can't remember the name of the product.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
dragon said:
We used to use a liquid floor polish for fixing glazing. Washed it over the entire window and it gave a better impression of glass. Can't remember the name of the product.
Quite possibly "Johnsons Klear". Great for sealing decals and a nice glossy finish. Available in a supermarket near you.
My preference for fitting glazing is Microscale's "Krystal Klear" a PVA type glue. Excellent if you are looking to flush fit the glazing into the frames.
What is it about our American friends and the obssesion with the replacement of C with K in product names ?
Max.

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
528c22384b7b4d3eb4850b60e0ec788b.jpg
maxi-model said:
dragon said:
Quite possibly "Johnsons Klear". Great for sealing decals and a nice glossy finish. Available in a supermarket near you.
My preference for fitting glazing is Microscale's "Krystal Klear" a PVA type glue. Excellent if you are looking to flush fit the glazing into the frames.
What is it about our American friends and the obssesion with the replacement of C with K in product names ?
Max.

Just found this under the sink. Must be at least six years old. Hope it was a good vintage.

bazzer42

1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Best answers
Thanks Mr Dragon.
We used to have a bottle here that was even older. I can remember using it at my first house, made the floor an ice rink as I recall.
I'm off to the utility now but not too optimistic knowing Mrs B's tidying routines......

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
bazzer42 said:
Thanks Mr Dragon.
We used to have a bottle here that was even older. I can remember using it at my first house, made the floor an ice rink as I recall.
I'm off to the utility now but not too optimistic knowing Mrs B's tidying routines......

We have never used it on the floor. Too much dirt there.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Replacing C with a K..... Because you can't trademark a word that is in common useage!

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Re Johnsons Klear -

Now in its so called imprved version (not sure about that!) it is a white opaque container of the same shape, and called 'Pledge multi surface wax', and it has a new smell.

It also saya a 'brilliant shine' I disagree with that, it is a semi matt shine, when used on matt finish paint; it still adds a bit more clarity to clear plastic.

Johnson's were asked by other web forums about this new versions suitability for what the old version was so good at - they said the new formulation was NOT suitable!

It is inside the container skughtly milky and there is a slight brown tinge to it; theta does not seem to affect light yellow (on which I tried it), as above there is a slight shine, on very smooth finished they may be more of a shine.

I looked in my local Morrison's where it used to be on sale - no more , they only sell own brand from the look of it.
Lakeland have an American product -billed as a super shine, but its very expensive - 800 ml for $10.29

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick-Shine-Floor-Finish < Link To http://www.lakeland.co.uk...ick-Shine-Floor-Finish

They have another at £.99 for 500ml (underwoods)

I know nothing about them.

Luckily I have a bottle of the old, and the 'new' verison which will wait till I have used up my precious 'old' stuff!

Yours Peter.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I know you mentioned the Klear a while ago and I couldn't get any here in Ireland. However, last Christmas I managed to get the new product but haven't had chance to try it out yet.

Wonder if it's the same case as Marathons, Jif, Immac, Ulay, Opal Fruits and all the rest of the globalisation? :rofl:

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Mick,

I don't know ('cos I have not tried it for that purpose) but Morrison's sell an own brand Shower cleaner that has plastered across the front that is also 'Shines'.

Might be worth a try - especially if you have a shower!

Yours Peter.