Groudle Glen Battery Loco Scratchbuild

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I'd built some Groudle Glen Railway 'toastrack' carriages to go with the Accucraft 7/8ths" 'Sea Lion' that I had on order, so it seemed logical to build a model of one of the battery locos that ran on the line in the 1920's. In practical terms I've also found it useful to have a battery loco to run as a roadsweeper before a live steam loco to find all the twigs, stones in the point frogs etc. that I'd missed when preparing the permanent way.

The first task was to blow up drawings of the loco on a photocopier, which provided the main dimensions; and with such a simple loco, there isn't much need for anything but the main dimensions! Having decided that I was going to use either styrene or MDF for the body, drawings were prepared for the laser cutter at work. With hindsight I maybe should have considered brass sheet.
First assembly.jpg

I had the opportunity to use a 3D printer too, and needed to learn how the software worked, so this provided an incentive. In the end the cab sheets, headlamps and buffer castings were made this way; the cab sheets ended up a bit 'faceted', and I think I would use brass sheet next time -not that there will be a next time, I suspect.
print outs.jpg
I then decided to produce an accurate mock-up of the chassis, again using laser cut MDF. The drawings scaled out at around 6mm, which seems excessive, but who am I to argue. I initially thought of mounting the motor vertically but quickly changed to having it slung between the frames for low-down weight. Brass bearings were turned up for the axles, and the axles themselves turned to fit a couple of pairs of 32mm gauge Accucraft wheelsets left over from my IOM pairs carriages.
Polar Bear chassis.jpg
Motor and gears were from Swift Sixteen; they seemed a bit noisy, but I think this was due to not quite getting the mesh right -the final model runs quietly.
Having proved the principle, I then moved on to make the real thing. A new body was cut, with rivets, corner strapping, handrails etc fitted. The chassis was cut from 3/16" steel strip, and the tapers milled on the ends -but in reality I could have cut and filed them, as it was pretty straightforward. The footplate was cut from 1mm brass sheet. 3/16ths frame spacers were fitted, and the footplate bolted on. The cab interior and seat was modelled in card and then cut and folded in 0.8mm brass sheet; the whole was then soft soldered to the footplate. Brake parts and battery box supports were 3-D printed, and the buffer 'castings' bolted onto the chassis end plates.
Chassis.jpg
The body was glued up. When it was dry the door opening had distorted slightly, so I made a couple of brass sand boxes to keep them held in place.
Batteries and a swicth were fitted, and the body painted with Halfords 'Brunswick Green'.
First coat.jpg
Lettering and lining were cut from vinyl using a CNC cutter, LED lights were fitted and wooden window frames were fixed in place.
Ex works.jpg
Then the brakes were fitted:
Brakes.jpg
Finally, a Deltang Rx65b receiver was fitted -I'm just getting to grips with all the programming options!
RC installed.jpg
Then out onto the line alongside Sea Lion...
Two locos.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed! Thank you for posting

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nice!
<sigh> To have the knowledge, and access to the equipment to 'rapid prototype' then produce the final model.. :envy:;)

Begs the question(s)..
1. Are you going to offer a basic 'kit of major bits'?
And / or
2. What are you going to do with the mock-up?? ;):clap::clap:

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Believe me, I give thanks regularly for having access to a decent workshop and some modern production techniques!

I wasn't planning on producing a kit of parts, but I believe The Management might wish to dispose of the development loco that is (metaphorically) sitting behind the engine shed...

Are you able to e-mail me via here?

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful loco. Your paint work is excellent. Green, my favorite color.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
o well done Sir!!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Believe me, I give thanks regularly for having access to a decent workshop and some modern production techniques!

I wasn't planning on producing a kit of parts, but I believe The Management might wish to dispose of the development loco that is (metaphorically) sitting behind the engine shed...

Are you able to e-mail me via here?

'conversation' started.. Top right icon on the page..

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A fine looking loco - interesting construction techniques as well. Nice combination of technologies involved.

Rik

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Having made a (very) cheeky query (see post #7), and a spate of emails running backwards and forwards...
A parcel arrived at the proposed site of the Amington Heights Railway..

DSC01091.JPG

Big shout-out "thank you" to Patrick (Northsider) of this parish, for a very generous donation to the UFO (un-finished object) collection..

Buffer beams, replacement cab front/back, lens and LED mountings.. Even a 'former' for the roof, and (the difficult bit for me) metal motor-mounts.

Little does he realise that at some point in the future he might get an email asking where to get bushes etc. from!! :):):clap::clap::clap:

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
:blush: Aw, shucks!

Glad you like it -you may have a bit of development work ahead...

JonasWousa

Registered
2 Mar 2020
Norway
Best answers
Northsider Northsider what kind of cnc machine did you use? Do you happen to have any xp with vinyl cutters?
sorry for being off topic.

I'm looking to buy a vinyl cutter and looking for some advice. I know cnc does different things than a vinyl but I'm hoping somebody over here can point me to the right direction. I've been looking around the net and all I've seen was hype. Everybody is pushing the positives and they never mention any drawbacks. I've found another type of website here you can actually see the flaws. The only problem is that it put me on the fence.

Any tips?

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Northsider Northsider what kind of cnc machine did you use? Do you happen to have any xp with vinyl cutters?
sorry for being off topic.

I'm looking to buy a vinyl cutter and looking for some advice. I know cnc does different things than a vinyl but I'm hoping somebody over here can point me to the right direction. I've been looking around the net and all I've seen was hype. Everybody is pushing the positives and they never mention any drawbacks. I've found another type of website here you can actually see the flaws. The only problem is that it put me on the fence.

Any tips?
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I used an old Roland Stika SV-8 to cut the vinyl: it is easy to set up and use (I run it with Techsoft 2D Design, an educational program that is a bit clunky but also straightforward and does the job perfectly. I'm not sure how easy it is to get on the open market. The Stika seems reliable and is accurate enough for the work I do. I have used a Roland Camm1 in the past, but it is for large sheets, whereas the Stika is much more compact.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, there's a laser cut kit in 16mm, but this looks pretty good :clap::clap::clap:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There is now but wasn't then..

Which reminds me.. :rolleyes:

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Is the livery to match Sea Lion or do you have evidence of Polar Bear in the green livery?

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Is the livery to match Sea Lion or do you have evidence of Polar Bear in the green livery?

It was to match my Accucraft 'Sea Lion', which I've since sold on. As far as I'm aware the Groudle BEVs only ever ran in their red and cream liveries -and were quite short-lived (1921 - 1928?). It seems likely that they replaced their steam-powered namesakes and didn't work alongside them.