Greetings from Derbyshire

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Hello...
I've recently got into garden railways after a chance find at a car boot sale. (A big boxful of unloved LGB including a little Otto, wagons track and some points for a tenner.) I set to repairing them, and once it was done, I was hooked.
A steam tram and a stainz soon turned up to keep otto company. The work will soon began to build them somewhere to stretch their legs.
I've had oo for decades but this is all still new to me, so expect plenty of daft questions. (Apologies in advance...)
Regards,
Paul.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome - the only daft questions are the ones that don't get asked :):)

And congratulations for venturing out into the garden :clap::clap:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Paul - ask anything you want, you'll usually get some sensible answers in between all the daft ones.... :rofl:

Your car-boot bargain sounds great - even if everything needed work, you've only paid out about the price of two feet of track!

Jon.

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Paul, that's a great reason to go to garage sales.....what a deal. How much track did you score?

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the mad house as someone said. its all fun. us old guys love answering questions and sometimes we agree on the answers..

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, hopefully some of your good luck will rub on to us!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the mad house as someone said. its all fun. us old guys love answering questions and sometimes we agree on the answers..

All together now....
Oh no we don't! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welcome Paul..
I am in the dangley bit of Staffordshire, so not that far away from you.. There are quite a few of us lurking around this part of the world, so you will not be 'playing' on your own for long. :):clap::clap:

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome, Paul - Sounds like you got a good deal - I'm also in Derbyshire.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Paul....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Greetings from an escapee from Derbyshire, bottom left between Derby and Burton - ah the smell of beer when the wind was blowing the right way.
It sounds like you got a good and easy start there, well done m'duck!

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Paul - ask anything you want, you'll usually get some sensible answers in between all the daft ones.... :rofl:

Your car-boot bargain sounds great - even if everything needed work, you've only paid out about the price of two feet of track!

Jon.
Hi Jon,
Yes it was an absolute steal... Only fully realised when I started checking out prices on flea-bay..!
It would appear that some doting father had bought a starter set, a couple of extra wagons and a siding set for his (Obviously less than careful,) offspring. It was in amongst a big pile of (Smashed and abused.) ride on electric jeeps, scooters and other expensive toys.
Anyhow along with some smaller parts poor little Otto had lost his headlight and someone had decided that twisting the wires together was a good idea. (Total short.) By his condition, and of pretty much of all the rolling stock, a pond, sandpit and brown playdough had also been introduced into their lives.
I bit the bullet and started stripping and reassembling them all. (Praying it was actually playdough and not something really horrid.)
Surprisingly all but one were salvageable and now run quite sweetly.
I must be a sucker for punishment as I've just acquired what may possibly the most over stressed stainz in britain. How much abuse does it take to turn the axle holes in the chassis L shaped and turn the motor bushes oval?
It's probably going to end up as the static centre piece of a workshop diorama I have in mind. Amazingly the light, sound and smoke all function, even though it does sound like someone sanding wood.
Watch this space for more tales of locomotive cruelty.
Regards,
Paul.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon,
Yes it was an absolute steal... Only fully realised when I started checking out prices on flea-bay..!
It would appear that some doting father had bought a starter set, a couple of extra wagons and a siding set for his (Obviously less than careful,) offspring. It was in amongst a big pile of (Smashed and abused.) ride on electric jeeps, scooters and other expensive toys.
Anyhow along with some smaller parts poor little Otto had lost his headlight and someone had decided that twisting the wires together was a good idea. (Total short.) By his condition, and of pretty much of all the rolling stock, a pond, sandpit and brown playdough had also been introduced into their lives.
I bit the bullet and started stripping and reassembling them all. (Praying it was actually playdough and not something really horrid.)
Surprisingly all but one were salvageable and now run quite sweetly.
I must be a sucker for punishment as I've just acquired what may possibly the most over stressed stainz in britain. How much abuse does it take to turn the axle holes in the chassis L shaped and turn the motor bushes oval?
It's probably going to end up as the static centre piece of a workshop diorama I have in mind. Amazingly the light, sound and smoke all function, even though it does sound like someone sanding wood.
Watch this space for more tales of locomotive cruelty.
Regards,
Paul.

Some kids just don't deserve nice toys..... ;)
Sounds like some over-indulged little **** who was never taught to treat their things with any respect.

Good for you, though - great to hear that most of it was salvageable, and it sounds like a great start to your own line - it will soon grow!

If you're making the Stainz into a workshop diorama piece, check out the HSB loco servicing figures from Prehm - about four different ones posed doing various work around a loco (and one sitting reading the paper while the rest get on with it....).

Jon.