Grapevine/railway intergration... please help!!!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
2 questions chaps...

1) In my new track plan I need to take the track along the base of my fence. It has to be quite tight in as the line currently follows a kind of cutting between my raised beds and the fence. The vine is abut 5 years old and fruiting well on the fence. It emerges from the earth about 40 cm from the fence and immediately goes to the fence at a right angle about an inch from ground level blocking the path of the track. if i cut it back to where it emerges would it pop up and let me train it over the new line? and if so what season is best. the vine is about 2.5 inches thick at the base....

2) the post that the same vine ascends is rotten at the base (but very good otherwise) and needs to be dug out and a concrete spur set in and bolted to it (unless there is a better plan). What are the chances of this killing the vine through root disturbance remembering it is about 40cm from the fence where it emerges...

I would be very grateful to you for advice (even hunches) i really can't be bothered to go join a forum and exisiting advice is not specific enough.

Ian

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Well we have a lot of vines here in Sonoma! and they cut them back every year but not that low to the ground? I think you need to cut it back to the first branch/buds to keep it alive, I don't know about that low to the ground. PM Netty he might have a better idea.............
8094c449cfc2483584fc674f7a47d456.jpg