GR Couplings article - clarification

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just been reading the article on couplings in the current edition of GR on page 42.

Has anyone had a look? I found it a little puzzling at first. I think he uses the Timpdon magnets and then uses neodymium magnets to 'grab' the stock to enable them to be pulled apart. Is that how you've read it?

I got confused by the mention of MBM couplings for N gauge stock which are a bit like LGB couplings. I just wondered if he was using a version of the MBMs in the garden??

I'd be interested if anyone has found a way of using magnets to release LGB style couplings

Rik

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
same as you rick, you nailed it :eek:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
In September 2005 I wrote an article on modifying LGB hook and loop couplings, using Spratt & Winkle 7mm couplings, that were uncoupled using small magnets between the rails. This works in the same way as Kaydee couplings in as much that uncoupled stock can be pushed to any chosen location and left there, ideal for a shunting layout, which is why I came up with the idea. The article was writen for, and available on, the old G Scale Mad site. The article was never copied across to G Scale Central. There no longer appears to be a section for members articles and the file is too big to load as an attachment to a post. I can see no way of uploading it on the forum. I suppose if any member was sufficiently interested, I could attach it to a personal email and sent it on that basis.

David

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
email it to me and I'll try to get it on here somehow. Sure there is a way!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
David1226 said:
In September 2005 I wrote an article on modifying LGB hook and loop couplings, using Spratt & Winkle 7mm couplings, that were uncoupled using small magnets between the rails. This works in the same way as Kaydee couplings in as much that uncoupled stock can be pushed to any chosen location and left there, ideal for a shunting layout, which is why I came up with the idea. The article was writen for, and available on, the old G Scale Mad site. The article was never copied across to G Scale Central. There no longer appears to be a section for members articles and the file is too big to load as an attachment to a post. I can see no way of uploading it on the forum. I suppose if any member was sufficiently interested, I could attach it to a personal email and sent it on that basis.

David
David
I'll PM you with my email address just in case Stockers can't find a way of uploading it.
Yes - be very interested in seeing what you've done.
Rik