GP40 video

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
This shunting (or switching) video is a little different - you have to get two minutes in to see why
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQjh2AaKlkc

Some may say this is cheating as the two railways are four miles apart with, of course, no connection. Hopefully it shows what the Kirtley Works layout is trying to represent.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Be still my beating heart, I thought it said GT 40 Video.........................................................

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Nice video Chris, Obviously you used the Dr Who tardis to join the two layouts.

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
Now that's a bobber caboose, now I know what that is :)

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
hagen said:
Now that's a bobber caboose, now I know what that is :)
Yes good old Aristo wheel sets. Fitting a new centre axle is added to the list of maintenance jobs before the weather gets better. There is a topic on how to fix this somewhere on GSC

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
My genuine ignorance thread drift question.........why are they called "Bobber" cabose? would love a genuine answer??

E

Elmtree Line

GarryH said:
My genuine ignorance thread drift question.........why are they called "Bobber" cabose? would love a genuine answer??

The small, two-axle cabooses that were widely used during the latter part of the nineteenth century were called "bobbers," which term described their riding characteristics on the relatively uneven track of the time. Bobbers tended to produce an unpleasant pitching motion that was usually not present in more modern, two truck models.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M said:
This shunting (or switching) video is a little different - you have to get two minutes in to see why
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQjh2AaKlkc

Some may say this is cheating as the two railways are four miles apart with, of course, no connection. Hopefully it shows what the Kirtley Works layout is trying to represent.

Nice video Chris, which tells a story.

Real films also use similar tricks. I remember a particular episode in the first Lovejoy series, which was filmed here in Bury St Edmunds. Someone outside Moyses Hall appeared to be talking to another person who was outside the Abbey Gardens, but the 2 locations are actually about a 1/2 mile apart....