Got in some coal firing practice with my Riverdale Elke tonight

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Weather and a night off from work finally lined up where I could get in some practice time with coal firing so I dont look like a fool at the steamups later this year. Coal firing is definatly not something you learn over night, each run is a tad different, almost lost the fire right after the video but I got it back. I have a bad habit of trying to rush things a bit changing over from charcoal to steam coal. It takes time to build the fire up to the bottom of the firebox door as per Joep's instructions on firing his boilers. Add to much and you smother the fire. Its add a bit, wait a moment or two, then add more and so forth till the firebox is full of burning coal. I ran till it got dark were I couldnt see the sight glass very well, and at the same time one of my crank disks came loose on the rear axle. So I dropped the fire. I have now used some blue thread locker, those screws should stay tight now.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I know a few chaps with coal fired locos, and it takes a long time to get the knack, but...once you start, there can be no more satisfying way to run a loco, it puts battery, track, gas power so far into the shade, its like midnight.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I know a few chaps with coal fired locos, and it takes a long time to get the knack, but...once you start, there can be no more satisfying way to run a loco, it puts battery, track, gas power so far into the shade, its like midnight.
See!!!! The only "proper way"!;):rofl::rofl: (I'm still in the battery R/C camp)

steamhostler

Indoors SM32 Live Steam modeling in the USA
31 Dec 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Lucky you! I wish I had a Riverdale coal burner over here to run...