Gold????? lining pen....

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Yeah it says 18Kt Gold leafing Pen, maybe my cynicism precludes me from seeing that at this price it is of course genuine "gold".
However it does a really schmick job. The Gold looks "gold" but they can be got in brass, silver and other weird non railway related colours. Not sure of weatherability but I spray everything with satin clear acrylic anyway and for my purposes it works... On ebay or at craft shops; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Krylon-G...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6d3626c&_uhb=1

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Perhaps it's fools Gold Trev!!

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've got something similar myself, gold at one end, silver at the other.

Used it for mainly touching up the silvering on coach window frames, think I got it from dare I say it Hobbycraft,
during one of Swmbo's, cross stitch, knitting, card making or just need a box to store it all outings...

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have used these pens for lining photo mounts. Forget smooth gold leaf, think more gold metallic paint. The tip is fibre, and as supplied, I would suggect too thick for loco lining. You could thin the tip with a sharp craft knife but I think any slight variation in pressue would leave lines of varying thickness. A nice idea but I think the results would not live up to expectations.
David

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
David1226 said:
I have used these pens for lining photo mounts. Forget smooth gold leaf, think more gold metallic paint. The tip is fibre, and as supplied, I would suggect too thick for loco lining. You could thin the tip with a sharp craft knife but I think any slight variation in pressue would leave lines of varying thickness. A nice idea but I think the results would not live up to expectations.
David
I overcame that problem.... My lines are a consistent .040/1mm wide..... I'll post pics later...

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Trev with all the time you spend finding these bargains on ebay do you still have time left to play trains? :rofl::confused:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
AND,
There is a lot more good weather down there!
:rofl::rofl:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Maybe the weather is nicer here than the Shetlands but I bet they have faster internet there! It's not the eBay bargains that I find either, rather its all the weird extreme things I find that I try to adapt for "my purposes" e.g. these of which I have had recent intimate association.......
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53efc1fac6&_uhb=1
What other use could I put them to?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Lamp post's?

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
:D
tramcar trev said:
Yeah it says 18Kt Gold leafing Pen, maybe my cynicism precludes me from seeing that at this price it is of course genuine "gold".
However it does a really schmick job. The Gold looks "gold" but they can be got in brass, silver and other weird non railway related colours. Not sure of weatherability but I spray everything with satin clear acrylic anyway and for my purposes it works... On ebay or at craft shops; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Krylon-G...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6d3626c&_uhb=1
Speak no more of the Gold Leafing pen!!!!!!

My now wife used them to make our wedding invitations just a few months ago.
The things I do to get my hands on a Bachmann 55 Ton 3 Truck Shay. :D:D:D:D:D:D

No seriously they do gold lines very well, she drags them across the edge of her cards to give a fine line.
I have played with using them between masking tape and they worked well.

PS;
And by the way I wouldn't trade my new bride for anything in the world, unless somebody has a 1:20.3 loco to pull my new carriages going cheap. ;);););)

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
Maybe the weather is nicer here than the Shetlands but I bet they have faster internet there! It's not the eBay bargains that I find either, rather its all the weird extreme things I find that I try to adapt for "my purposes" e.g. these of which I have had recent intimate association.......
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53efc1fac6&_uhb=1
Viewing the photograph of these products produced a distinct puckering of the lips......:bleh::bleh::bleh:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
KeithT said:
tramcar trev said:
Viewing the photograph of these products produced a distinct puckering of the lips......:bleh::bleh::bleh:
And what I dont get is that some males actually PAY MONEY for the "pleaurable sensations" such apparatus is promised to deliver. I puckered more than my lips I assure you.....

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
thats one in the eye for you
:D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I admit to a morbid curiousity as to what the purpose of sticking 'one of them, down (or is it up?) there'..
But unless you meet an obstruction, and then hit said object with a hammer to break it up (Ouch! eyes watering, legs tightly crossed!) I do not see the purpose??

This is a musing.. I probably do not want to know the knitty [font="arial black,avant garde"]gritty[/font]!!

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
I haven't seen one for years but there was a drafting instrument similar to a bow pen that had provision for 2 scalpel blades with it you could cut very fine lines in pre applied masking tape and when done, peel out the strip between the lines and paint up neat lines. I went looking for one but with no success even Bow Pens are now hard to get..... I used them before with gold paint to to draw lines with paint and they work well, but you will have to search for them...

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
ROSS said:
Amazon have some.....reduced prices. Might suit.
What have they got? Bow pens or bow pens with blades? And I guess if you were induced to try I wonder if you could run say Tamiya metallic paint thru a draughting pen?