Getting started

Firstassist

Registered
20 Dec 2020
Wisconsin
Best answers
I’m looking to build a G scale train with a pond less waterfall in my back yard. I want to make the back yard look like the Pacific Northwest. Looking for steam or early diesel locomotives any suggestions? Want a train that would have run in the PNW

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
My suggestion is a Bachmann two truck Climax. You can still find a new one with DCC for around $300. An extremely good value in my opinion. These were often used on logging RR's which certainly fits your criteria unless you're looking of mainline stuff.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, have you a name we can use?
You should be alright for advice on here, have you been into G Scale for long?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Can't help you with rolling stock choices but welcome to the elite club of g-scalers!

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I’m looking to build a G scale train with a pond less waterfall in my back yard. I want to make the back yard look like the Pacific Northwest. Looking for steam or early diesel locomotives any suggestions? Want a train that would have run in the PNW
Welcome. You'll find these UK guys very cheery but not too knowledgeable about the Pacific Northwest. I'd suggest also joining a US-based forum like Largescalecentral.com.

Phil's suggestion of a Climax is a good one. Bachmann made the Climax, Shay and Heisler in their 1:20th scale Spectrum series, and all are finely detailed, although the mechanics are a bit tricky sometimes. Ask lots of questions before you spend a lot of money. All are narrow gauge - 1:20.3 is the correct scale for models of 3 ft gauge prototypes running on LGB or similar "g gauge" track.

If you want standard gauge, then the USAT range at 1/29th is your best bet, though I don't think they make many short-line logging trains!