Gas burner jet question.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday, for the first time in nine years, the jet in my avatar loco was partially blocked. When cleaning it I decided to make a note of the number for future reference. The marking is clear enough but I can't tell if it's a number 6 or number 9.
I think the maker (not Roundhouse) is still in business so an email to them may give me the answer but I've posed the question here as others may have a similar problem in the future. Is there a standard way up to stamp the numbers or are only even numbers used?

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I don't have a definitive answer for you Neil, but I do know that with 'type' stamps it is sometimes possible to tell a 6 from a 9 by the shape of the 'tail'. Another way of identifying it is a full stop after it, or a line under. It could be very feint.

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
Trying to remember back twenty years (!), the number was always read with the output end of the jet facing up, threaded end down.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks folks, a quick phone call to Finescale, once I'd found the original invoice with details of the order, revealed that it is indeed a number 6 as suggested by Brian in the link to Chuffed to Bits. Interestingly that link suggests that Roundhouse may be the same but the spare Roundhouse jet I bought on a whim some time ago has a much smaller hole and is marked as a number 20.