Garden railroad on a hill with pond

Daniel

Registered
8 Nov 2016
Southampton PA
Best answers
Country flag
Have a pond on a small hill and before I begin building the garden railroad I wanted advice how difficult it would be as all the books & videos show railroads on flat
Ground. Thanks for any tips you may be able to provide. This is my first venture!

Attachments

• IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Daniel, might I suggest that a photo of what you have, would be helpfull, so that folks can gauge what you are up against.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, oh, I was so tempted to advise against putting a pond on a hill - you need to have it level or the water will spill out - but I mustn't ;););)

But seriously, garden railways are not that much different from the real thing, and the nearer to dead level tat you can get your railroad, the easier it will be. This may mean doing exactly the same thing that 1:1 railroads do: build up trestles and embankments where the ground is low, and make cuttings where the ground level is higher.

My first garden railway, the WWSR did exactly that - where the garden was low, it was built up to a height of 2ft on old railway sleepers, while at the top of the garden, it ran in a shallow cutting.

http://www.gardenrailwayclub.com/railways/wild-west-sussex-railroad

Daniel

Registered
8 Nov 2016
Southampton PA
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, oh, I was so tempted to advise against putting a pond on a hill - you need to have it level or the water will spill out - but I mustn't ;););)

But seriously, garden railways are not that much different from the real thing, and the nearer to dead level tat you can get your railroad, the easier it will be. This may mean doing exactly the same thing that 1:1 railroads do: build up trestles and embankments where the ground is low, and make cuttings where the ground level is higher.

My first garden railway, the WWSR did exactly that - where the garden was low, it was built up to a height of 2ft on old railway sleepers, while at the top of the garden, it ran in a shallow cutting.

http://www.gardenrailwayclub.com/railways/wild-west-sussex-railroad
Thanks for the advice and I like your sense of humor

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Ohh! That piccy wasn't there when looked before! ????? Must be something to do with the local 'net connection. I think that you just need to sit there a bit, and imagine your ideal railway in the location, and start planning. Even a basic just round the pond would work, it would just be a bit limited.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Advantage of a Hill in the Garden is that you can have Stations in the Lower Level at a Higher Level then when you get to the Higher part of the Garden you run through the scenery. All this talk of a Flat Garden Only is noncence, you just need a bit more work. Of course if you want it all at Ground Level you can climb up the Hill with Spirals or Zig Zags like the Darjeeling and Himalaya. Great fun.
JonD