Final expansion (I mean it this time)

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
I have started my planned extension onto an unused concrete base to provide another reverse loop, you can see the base (just), beyond the present siding with the fake tunnel. To get a reasonable grade (3-4%), I’m having to cut into the concrete, not only the transition, but now have found that the track bed will need lowering as well.
I’ve been using my hammer drill chisel attachment plus drilling holes, and using a cutting disc. The base is proving resilient unfortunately, so will probably have to revert to explosives ! I didn’t ever think that this hobby would involve such drastic measures.9AACD45F-E9C0-4A48-AC43-07385122890F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
To get a reasonable grade (3-4%),

If my maths is correct 4% is 1:25, and having got that gradient on my railway, I would advise that this is steep. My track powered locos without traction tyres (and with additional weight) struggle pulling 8 axles, and my RH live steam Fowler will only pull a little more.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
If my maths is correct 4% is 1:25, and having got that gradient on my railway, I would advise that this is steep. My track powered locos without traction tyres (and with additional weight) struggle pulling 8 axles, and my RH live steam Fowler will only pull a little more.
Haven’t got any choice I’m afraid, I’ve tried all my locos on a temporary steeper grade, they all made it, albeit with only a few wagons, it’s just the only space left available in my small garden.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Haven’t got any choice I’m afraid, I’ve tried all my locos on a temporary steeper grade, they all made it, albeit with only a few wagons, it’s just the only space left available in my small garden.
I appreciate the "needs must", and though I manage with mine and don't plan a "make over". I advise be really careful to ensure the gradient is smooth, because a slight lapse to 5% and suddenly they will really struggle. :) :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
. The base is proving resilient unfortunately, so will probably have to revert to explosives ! I didn’t ever think that this hobby would involve such drastic measures.
A bit like oak, concrete frequently strengthens with age.

Explosives should be a good choice - concrete is strong in compression and weak in tension :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Be careful that things don't go to steep. It would be far better to have a smaller layout that will run well, than a bigger one that will cause you problems

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Be careful that things don't go to steep. It would be far better to have a smaller layout that will run well, than a bigger one that will cause you problems
Might be more use for explosives, cannot put emoji!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A bit like oak, concrete frequently strengthens with age.

Explosives should be a good choice - concrete is strong in compression and weak in tension :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

Using explosives would be a blast.

David

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Its a good excuse for double heading

IMG_3932.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Final expansion? How many times have we heard that?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Pete, it might be easier to raise your track bed on the rest of your layout.... :rolleyes:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Might be more use for explosives, cannot put emoji!
I think you're blowing things all out if proportion. AustrianNG's idea about double heading sounds good - would you like me to have a look in my garage? :devil: :devil::devil::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:devil:
Extra emojis provided free of charge due to an apparent shortage in your neck of the woods.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I have got it to 3.5 %, raising the track bed would have been sensible but it took me so many times to get it flat that ######! to that!
I have only said final expansion six times, being single minded , I said single!
Double heading is the way to go if I see any struggling, but as my locos and stock are small, they all went up a much steeper grade when I was trying to convince myself I had cut enough concrete.
Anyway as usual, many thanks to all for advice , being in tin country I shall be bringing in the retired dynamite miner with all limbs intact to help out.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
I think you're blowing things all out if proportion. AustrianNG's idea about double heading sounds good - would you like me to have a look in my garage? :devil: :devil::devil::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:devil:
Extra emojis provided free of charge due to an apparent shortage in your neck of the woods.
This emoji taunting has got to stop ! I am now officially emoji needy lol

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to suggest raising the existing track..

Another thought..
Can you run a longer-track, parallel to those existing, to give you a longer, gentler slope up to the extension?

If you can ease the gradient before you put the upper loop in, it will also help your loco's.. Gradient AND tight curves, combine to make things really difficult.

PhilP.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Exploses would be fun, yes it can be done small enough, but the shock can do some more unwanted damage.
Drill some 12 mm holes stuff it with gunpowder(n100 vihtavuori or fine blackpowder), electric detonation( used in model rocketry) corc it, watch out for fragments...
Its almost old years evening?

Or drill some holes fill with water when it is freezing, you would be suprised, or like the roman empire, use salt.
But oke they are all doable and most funny options, let get back to work:

Why dont u use your cutter disk to make 2 inch wide slots and rent a 15-20kg hydrolic hammer(jackhammer?,demolition hammer?), one with a wire and not with compressed air.

It can be done in one hour.
Good luck, with best regards Igor

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Almost exactly what I ended up doing Igor, just not the jack hammer, I’m cutting slots and using my impact drill with chisel, I also tried drilling holes, but freezing will not happen for a while here.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I hope it is a heavy one you have, concrete tends to get harder overtime.
Get a nice point chisel, they are best for this sort of jobs.
If we where some closer together i would give you a hand with my tools....fine excuse to use the big boy again. Bosch 35 kilo
Best

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Igor, my hammer drill is a Bosch, it feels bloody heavy! I’ve reduced its workload by cutting slits with my angle grinder, but it there is a lot to remove, so hope it lasts!