Eureka! I have found the solution to my LGB R3 problems

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Good stuff to know thanks. Right now, I am having a battle with an R1....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It's a beautiful day or it was until Caledonia derailed on one of my new"perfect" Piko R3 points.
I was running her at a crawl though the points in the trailing direction when the rear drivers lifted off.
After much grovelling on the ground I established that the flange was hitting the sharp edge of inner stock rail where the ground-out (recessed) section ends. (Bottom on the attached photo)
Before attacking it with the Dremel I established that the point was not tight to gauge in fact, it is almot 0.4mm wider through the curved section.

I ground out the inner edge of the stock rail but on a further run Caledonia still derailed. I then shaved a tiny amount off the opposite rail and the problem is solved.
It is likely that the problem has arisen because it is necessary to run direct from the point onto a section of R3 track. If I had room to insert a short section of straight after the point then the problem might not have arisen but It is too much like hard work rejigging everything in this location.

I wonder if the new release of Caledonia will have a modified wheel profile and a little more lateral play in the first and third driving axles?
a13255c603ed4abe89b2d58d56607bd6.jpg

silverflyer

G Scale, Photography,
26 Oct 2009
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Best answers
Hi Keith,

I have just bought 4 R5 Piko points and they all have that rather sharp bit on the main rails.

Thanks for pointing this out, I will grind them done a little.

Regards

Bruce.

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
So you problems were when running in the "trailing "direction (right to left on the photograph) Keith?

This is most unusual, 99% of derailments on points are in the facing direction, but I can see what you mean. A longish fixed wheelbase vehicle going into a right hand bend would throw the rear wheelset against that sharp notch in the stock rail. Or if the blades were the other way I would expect this to happen going into a left hand bend.

Interesting.

John

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
silverflyer said:
Hi Keith,

I have just bought 4 R5 Piko points and they all have that rather sharp bit on the main rails.

Thanks for pointing this out, I will grind them done a little.

Regards

Bruce.
Bruce
I would try them first, there was no problem with LGB or Bachmann locos, only the Caledonia.
You could save yourself the trouble.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sea Lion said:
So you problems were when running in the "trailing "direction (right to left on the photograph) Keith?

This is most unusual, 99% of derailments on points are in the facing direction, but I can see what you mean. A longish fixed wheelbase vehicle going into a right hand bend would throw the rear wheelset against that sharp notch in the stock rail. Or if the blades were the other way I would expect this to happen going into a left hand bend.

Interesting.

John
Yes I thought that I was perfectly safe running through in the trailing direction.
Perversely there is no difficulty in the facing direction!
It only happens on this point, the other two run onto straight track which doesn't "throw" the loco quite so far.

Can't you tell locos are female................!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
I wonder if the new release of Caledonia will have a modified wheel profile and a little more lateral play in the first and third driving axles?
I don't think lateral play in the leading axle would be a good idea as the clearance between coupling rod and crosshead is very tight.
Along with Mbiff I've added extra spacing washes to the cylinder mounts to increase this clearance on first batch electric models.

30c9b54f8b17424c9bd110fdb6d86bf3.jpg

de30d4b09d7c428385c20172ec9114a9.jpg

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
KeithT said:
I don't think lateral play in the leading axle would be a good idea as the clearance between coupling rod and crosshead is very tight.
Along with Mbiff I've added extra spacing washes to the cylinder mounts to increase this clearance on first batch electric models.

images

images
I knew there had to be a snag in the way of a simple solution but presumably Accucraft could add the spacer.
BTW is the lack of clearance the reason for the clicking sound as the wheels rotate?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
I knew there had to be a snag in the way of a simple solution but presumably Accucraft could add the spacer.
BTW is the lack of clearance the reason for the clicking sound as the wheels rotate?

It is one possible reason. Check the coupling rod retaining nuts on the leading wheels, if there's a telltail mark from striking the con rod little end the answer's yes.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
KeithT said:

It is one possible reason. Check the coupling rod retaining nuts on the leading wheels, if there's a telltail mark from striking the con rod little end the answer's yes.
Well they are close, one side is so close that it has picked up a film of oil fron the back of the little end but it definitely is not touching.
Caledonia ran for most of the afternoon without the clicking but then it appeared for a while before disappearing again,
EDIT: Perhaps I should put it down as a "characteristic" of the loco like the big end clank of an Austerity loco!