Estimated runtime for LGB Porter with DCC?

Lylat1an

Registered
8 Nov 2020
Graham, WA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm about ready to test my first battery conversion, but the manual says that I shouldn't run the battery lower than half of its capacity.

With that in mind, how long might a CVP AirWire900 BAT2 (14.8v 6.8a) run a LGB Porter with a DCC sound decoder before reaching that point?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How long is a piece of string?

Do you intend to use smoke?
Sound? - How loud??
Run it like an express, or sensible speeds?

Having said that, if you mean 6.8Ah capacity for the battery. You can very probably run all day.

The loco will probably draw 1-2Amps and I would guess you will not be running full-throttle?
I would expect 4-5 hours of continuous running. - More likely, more than enough before you have to go do something else, or get bored.

Enjoy!

PhilP

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I'm about ready to test my first battery conversion, but the manual says that I shouldn't run the battery lower than half of its capacity.

With that in mind, how long might a CVP AirWire900 BAT2 (14.8v 6.8a) run a LGB Porter with a DCC sound decoder before reaching that point?
What type of battery is it?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Lithium Ion.
They can usually be run down to a quarter discharge, As you have been advised to only run it down to discharge I would stick to that. As previously stated you should get a run of at least 4 hours. However I would supervise any recharging to prevent any incident.

Lylat1an

Registered
8 Nov 2020
Graham, WA
Best answers
Country flag
They can usually be run down to a quarter discharge, As you have been advised to only run it down to discharge I would stick to that. As previously stated you should get a run of at least 4 hours. However I would supervise any recharging to prevent any incident.
Okay, thanks!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
As with almost everything about batteries, there seems to be over-interpretation.

For longest battery life, avoid discharging your batteries deeply, and indeed they will last longest with never being discharged "fully".

But, assuming you can only use 50% of the available capacity is very limiting.

Taking them down to 25% is perfectly fine, if you do this all the time, the battery may last a few less years, but who really cares? Enjoy your trains and use that battery. (I'm on electric car forums, and this is a continual debate, agonizing over charge cycles, max charge percentage, minimum charge, etc.)

Think of your batteries in your train like your laptop... would you turn off your laptop if the battery got down to 50% and you needed to use it?

No, you keep using it.... do you make a habit of this? No.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hopefully, it is a properly constructed pack, with a BMS (or protection) board?
In which case, you should not be able to over-discharge the battery pack.

It is not a good idea to use individual Li-ion cells in a holder designed for 'conventional' cells.

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Seems very odd, only being able to use half of the batteries charge, a bit like filling your car with petrol, but having to stop for a refill at half a tank

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Seems very odd, only being able to use half of the batteries charge, a bit like filling your car with petrol, but having to stop for a refill at half a tank
It is more to do with getting maximum life from the battery technology. - Though for model trains, we are not stressing the batteries normally.
Lithium-based batteries can be permanently damaged, if discharged too far.
Either the battery pack will have a protection device (board of electronics) or the device the batteries are powering, will normally look after this for you.

PhilP