Enamel and Acrylics - weather proof?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I have used these to paint something I want to stay permenantly outside ( a dead "rusty" loco ) will it survive OK? Be ironic if the weather unweathered it....

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
You need to give 'em a coat of matt varnish to seal the from the weather

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
where would i find it, i couldn't see it where i bought the paints? If I don't seal it will it just wash off in the first rain or last for months...

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
A lot depends on the preperation of whatever you paint Ian. Almost all of my buildings are painted with Humbrol enamels and stay outside in all weathers (without any varnish). I sometimes have to re-touch some small patches of the roofs, but this is usually the result of a direct hit from the Wood Pigeon Luftwaffe - I reckon they must drink thinners??? :D.

But the secret was that all of the resin was well scrubbed and sometimes roughened a tad before painting starting with a good primer.

I tend to only use acrylics on rolling stock that isn't left outside.

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
It will fade, it will scratch, if the surface was oily it may peel, but once completely dry (about 2 days?) acrylics won't wash off.
enamels are a little tougher.
This station was painted many years ago with cheap craft shop acrylics. It's even spent 2 winters outdoors. The paint has held up better than the bare Piko plastic on the roof which is getting chalky.
P7050003.JPG

I even painted a church with Bic Whiteout once. Some of it peeled, but that's just made it look even more 'weathered'.... (the odd side window is a solar panel for lights)
P4110005.JPG