Edrig at the Overcombe Light Railway

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Hi all
Well I did promise there would be another video of Mike Jackson's OLR. This time his Edrig which he converted to two channel R/C (Planet). The burner has a mesh wrap, the boiler has been lagged and has a painted brass wrapper and the smoke-box has been lined with heatproof "solder mat" to reduce burner resonance. The burner is much quieter than in original form.

You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMgf...heers Chris www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Great video, it is hard to pick it has a boiler wrap.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
super. does the lagged boiler really make a big difference- and to what- fuel burn and being able to run the burner quieter I suppose?

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Yes, it reduces the heat lost (and you do lose a fair bit that way certainly), which means you don't have to have the gas up so high- quieter burner, longer run. The smokebox lining is a new one on me, rather clever. I'm suprised it doesn't have a MLW style burner though! Standard gas regulator too I assume?

I think the ideal list would be:

- Better (more precise) gas regulator for finer control. Or even a Cheddar type self regulating one, as Tag fitted to his Caradoc.
- Smaller gas jet
- A Bunsen style collar on the burner primary air inlets
- MLW- type burner
- Boiler lagging
- Probably the smokebox lining too.

But none of that is really necessary... the one single mod I would do is fit a mesh wrapper to the burner. 10 minutes work, 99p and it makes the biggest difference!

Oh, nice video by the way Chris- it sounds fantastic being run slowly. Really need to get 2 channel r/c sorted on mine...

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
hey thanks... but what does the mesh do on the burner? is it a noise thing...

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Slows down the speed of the fuel/ air mixture as it leaves the burner. Physics and chemistry happens, and it quietens the burner down and makes it a bit more effecient too.

The burners in RH locos are much better straight from the factory.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Cheers matt

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Can give you the full explanation if you want; it just isnt very interesting!