Easements and Multiple Sectional Track

Fred Seider

Registered
29 Aug 2023
East PA
Best answers
Country flag
(Clarified original post a bit better)
My question concerning using sectional track only - I know it's a good idea to go from a larger radius to a smaller one. So, for example, presuming LGB:
  • straight -> R3 -> R2
  • straight -> R5 -> R3
But any advice over all - Is it OK (looks wise) to go directly from:
  • straight -> R5 -> R2
Or is it always best to go with multiple steps:
  • straight -> R5 -> R3 -> R2
Suggestions in general? I would think multiple steps logically, but looking for thoughts from experience.
(I do understand that that this all requires more space.)

Fred Seider
Reading PA, US

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think it matters not one iota, if you are going to R1 some compounding curving will help. But it will be a bit tricky if you wand double track. I do wonder if the larger curves may confuse other operators into running a bit too fast into the curve misunderstanding that the R1 will need a slower speed than the entry. But if you are expecting the compound curves to take more space why not go for a better curve in the first place on the whole curve say R2?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
(Clarified original post a bit better)
My question concerning using sectional track only - I know it's a good idea to go from a larger radius to a smaller one. So, for example, presuming LGB:
  • straight -> R3 -> R2
  • straight -> R5 -> R3
But any advice over all - Is it OK (looks wise) to go directly from:
  • straight -> R5 -> R2
Or is it always best to go with multiple steps:
  • straight -> R5 -> R3 -> R2
Suggestions in general? I would think multiple steps logically, but looking for thoughts from experience.
(I do understand that that this all requires more space.)

Fred Seider
Reading PA, US
I wonder why you want to go down to R2 if you have the space to start with R5?

If you are trying to replicate a transition curve, then I'd use flexi. If not, then I'd use R3.

The big issue with set track curves, is that trains flick into the curve in a most unprototypical way, however, trains going round R2s don't look any less unprototypical IMHO

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
We are usually constricted for space on any model railway, so we use un-prototypical curves (and straights in some cases).

It all depends on each persons eye. If it looks right to you, then go with it.

I've had to use R1/R2 curves on my layout for my return loop. My trains are Narrow Gauge and so it doesn't look too bad to my eye. It wouldn't look right with long Standard Gauge Piko DB Coaches or US freight wagons though. If I'd had the space I would have used minimum R3....

20200524_170715.jpg