Drop bottom stage 1

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another aroundtoit,and stage 1 of weathering,the car was bashed sometime ago,extra graining and worn boards,bent grab irons,some internal board detail in and some chain added to the underside to represent the drop door mechanism,then as normal back in the box so the car has never run,The biggest problem for me at this time is a lack of dry rub lettering and since Glendale closed and was the source of them I will have to find a new outlet(If anyone knows;) of another)so a little sign writing attempted with the lettering,it appears fine and at least is readable.The car will be a coal carrier to serve the locos,,,at a depot far far away!!First coat,lettering and numbers done and the first weather wash on,the boarding lines need blacking out some more and this should also tidy the lettering too,second and third coat weather should tone it all back nicely.Black dust should suit it I think but still a fair way to go,when all the gondolas are done they should make a five car consist,2 more to do.Sorry about the quality of the pics as took them between the rain showers and done in a hurry:swear::banghead:.drop bottom 1 004.jpgdrop bottom 1 002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yerst. those are funny double skinned things :nod::nod:

Mine now looks like this

DSCF0007.JPG

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Rhino,double skin body,little bit of a job to get both skins the same when trying to cut the board line through without taking the car apart,I can`t quite see if yours has the inner skin removed(or partly) from the pic and is it still a drop bottom car or have you modified it?