Does the PECO problem affect PIKO points also!!

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
I have been doing some testing this evening ( Playing trains) and I have found that the PECO G-45 point short circuit problem which can sometimes occur when Loco skates make contact with both rails of the poitns 'V' Can occur with PIKO R5 (LGB R3 equivalent) points

Now theres no need to get excited about this as I believe it is not a major issue, as the fault did not occur very often and only when locos were running at what may be termed breakneck speed!! ALSO the fault only occured when the loco was running in a facing direction and taking the curved branch of the point

My anayisis of the problem is that when travelling at normal speeds locos are quite stable traversing the point, but at fast speeds there is some rocking about as it crosses the frog thus causing sideways movement of the skate which will then touch the V rail it shouldnt and cause a short circuit .

The fix for this problem is exactly the same as for PECO G - 45 points, simply bend up the skate a little so its outer edge is around 1mm higher and problem solved.

I dont think we need to get into a big discussion about this as it has been covered many times before in respect to PECO points, and this PIKO thing is no where near the same problem .................. that is of course assuming we dont run at breakneck speeds ( and we dont do that do we!!!:banghead:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis said:
I have been doing some testing this evening ( Playing trains) and I have found that the PECO G-45 point short circuit problem which can sometimes occur when Loco skates make contact with both rails of the poitns 'V' Can occur with PIKO R5 (LGB R3 equivalent) points

Now theres no need to get excited about this as I believe it is not a major issue, as the fault did not occur very often and only when locos were running at what may be termed breakneck speed!! ALSO the fault only occured when the loco was running in a facing direction and taking the curved branch of the point

My anayisis of the problem is that when travelling at normal speeds locos are quite stable traversing the point, but at fast speeds there is some rocking about as it crosses the frog thus causing sideways movement of the skate which will then touch the V rail it shouldnt and cause a short circuit .

The fix for this problem is exactly the same as for PECO G - 45 points, simply bend up the skate a little so its outer edge is around 1mm higher and problem solved.

I dont think we need to get into a big discussion about this as it has been covered many times before in respect to PECO points, and this PIKO thing is no where near the same problem .................. that is of course assuming we dont run at breakneck speeds ( and we dont do that do we!!!:banghead:
My Saxon has begun to do that on one point, in one direction but only at very slow speed.
The skate was v resistant to bending and so I tried sticking a tiny strip of Sellotape on the offending section.
Problem solved!