DJB Ragleth Mods.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
I have been very busy of late but I am gradually working my way through the various modifications and cosmetic improvements to my coal fired Ragleth. Most obvious one at the back end is replacing the standard Accucraft reverser with a modified early Roundhouse reversing quadrant. What it does mean is chopping the top off, reversing it and silver soldering it on again, because the Roundhouse jobbie is designed for the port side of the loco. new holes in the lever have to be drilled for the Accucraft 'reach rod' and to allow flexibility of timing. At the front end i have fitted roscoe lubes, blackened steel handrails, lamp bracket and the pipework for the vacuum. The buffer beams are still to be done (rivets, vac stands. safety chains and sprung buffers) and I am just completing the work on the bodyshell. No pics for this yet, but more blackened steel handrails, a swift 16 toolbox ? the bunker has been moved to the port side as well and has the gauge O coal removed so I can use 'proper' size lumps.

0a03125b355a4c30bd826629929faf54.jpg

1aab65b695fb432f95e052194b0b3924.jpg

8a6ba46ad684454c87f657f934d6c24f.jpg

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Hi Tag,
I have a DJB Coal Fired Boiler on order, hopefully to be delivered before Christmas and was wondering what heat proof paint to use on the Boiler/Smokebox? Can you advise what you have used on yours please.

John.

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
Blimey would even recognise it as a Ragleth. Very nice.
Is everything (pressure gauge etc) moved on to the left (port) side with the coal fired modification or have you done this? I assume the boiler level sight glass is a coal mod too?
Have you fitted cylinder drain cocks?

ZingyOrange

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
I remember seeing one on the DJB stand at Elsecar in September and seriously wanting one. Using their own smokebox really makes a difference to the look. The whole thing looks fantastic!!:)

Dave

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
One month to go before I have mine!

Tag, you have, on the starboard side, an on/off on the oiler. I've never seen this before! Good idea, but why?

Tim

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
John Morgan said:
Hi Tag,
I have a DJB Coal Fired Boiler on order, hopefully to be delivered before Christmas and was wondering what heat proof paint to use on the Boiler/Smokebox? Can you advise what you have used on yours please.

John.
Well this one was purchased RTR and demolished! I usually use heatproof exhaust paint or 'coal paint for use in gas fires for the smoke box. The boiler does not need painting because the wrapper is the painted surface and so ordinary acrylic should do fine. I would use exhaust paint on the firebox end of the boiler however.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Cyclone said:
Blimey would even recognise it as a Ragleth. Very nice.
Is everything (pressure gauge etc) moved on to the left (port) side with the coal fired modification or have you done this? I assume the boiler level sight glass is a coal mod too?
Have you fitted cylinder drain cocks?
This was purchased RTR and is in process of modification. I resited and exchange the pressure gauge for a half inch jobbie. The sight glass is part of the coal fired boiler. The mods to this loco are continuing and I will post more as I get to photograph it...

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Drummond said:
One month to go before I have mine!

Tag, you have, on the starboard side, an on/off on the oiler. I've never seen this before! Good idea, but why?

Tim
Well this was because it was fitted to my coal fired Edrig and I was able to adjust so that the loco did not 'over oil' as so many Accucraft locos used to do. Paul Bailey tells me that this is no longer necessary with the later lubricators so this might be largely redundant.

David BaileyK27

Registered
13 Nov 2009
Best answers
I use Plastocote Black Barbecue paint on Smokeboxes and boilers, once it has been heated it is OK.
David Bailey DJB Model Engineering Ltd

David BaileyK27

Registered
13 Nov 2009
Best answers
Sorry, should have been "Plasicote" my keyboard never seems to spell correctly.
David Bailey

David BaileyK27

Registered
13 Nov 2009
Best answers
See what I mean, I have done it again, Plasticote, thats better
David Bailey

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
David BaileyK27 said:
I use Plastocote Black Barbecue paint on Smokeboxes and boilers, once it has been heated it is OK.
David Bailey DJB Model Engineering Ltd
So this is therefore what is on the loco in my pictures. It does look good.

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
David/Tag,

Thanks for the info.

John

Paul H

Registered
16 Feb 2011
Best answers
Tag,
Did you modify the lubricator or is it a bespoke product?

My original Edrig lubricator does not appear to be terribly well suited to use with the coal fired boiler, and I am looking to modify or replace it to make the plumbing neater.

Best regards,
Paul

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Paul H said:
Tag,
Did you modify the lubricator or is it a bespoke product?

My original Edrig lubricator does not appear to be terribly well suited to use with the coal fired boiler, and I am looking to modify or replace it to make the plumbing neater.

Best regards,
Paul
This was the standard lube but with a regulator added. The earlier Accucraft lubricators use too much oil and it is worth part blocking the hole with fusewire. Or indeed changing it for say, a Roundhouse one.

Paul H

Registered
16 Feb 2011
Best answers
Tag,
One more question... Is the regulator a commercial product? If so, where did you source it?

Regards,
Paul

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
Paul, I think that the regulator is a DJB item, no doubt David will tell you where he gets it from.

David BaileyK27

Registered
13 Nov 2009
Best answers
The Regulator is a standard Roundhouse product, if you mean the Regulator Handle then you will have to ask Tag.
David Bailey

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
David BaileyK27 said:
The Regulator is a standard Roundhouse product, if you mean the Regulator Handle then you will have to ask Tag.
David Bailey
It is a shortened ACME regulator handle with a turned up stainless steel handle screwed in. Stainless steel is kinder to my delicate pinkies....

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Not finished yet but here are a few pics.

The bufferbeams with sprung buffer shanks and safety chain brackets. All these holes are in use!
7c462a84596a446a804506e3b83dcc54.jpg

The bodyshell ready for alterations and additions.
ab4ea35e8c154a25a50f90ddcf9446b1.jpg

I don't like much brass and some of this will go ? I do like me firebox to be brass bound however.
5010d99592524e28b64562f3f38fa0fa.jpg

Note the tasty little oilers from Locoworks http://www.locoworks.co.uk/ [IMG]ht...r thread for reasons that will be obvious :-)