gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg
Yes it is left out all year and has been out for about 6 years now.
My background behind the Arrowhead mine used to be there when it was a lumber town.
The lake could be seen then, but now the 'drift' mine is much taller and obscures it.
Thanks Mike. I was worried about 'wrinkles' in the banner, but you seem to have solved that problem.

I'm going to have to scour the countryside for a suitable scene to photograph - a place where the forest ends in farmland, so there is no 'high' foreground. The banner I'm thinking of (8'x2'-6") requires a pic 7000 pixels by 2200. My camera only takes a max 3200x2400, so I'll have to take 2 pics and merge.
(That pic in the mockup, is just outside my backyard, but I can't get far enough away from the trees for the pic I want.)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mike. I was worried about 'wrinkles' in the banner, but you seem to have solved that problem.

I'm going to have to scour the countryside for a suitable scene to photograph - a place where the forest ends in farmland, so there is no 'high' foreground. The banner I'm thinking of (8'x2'-6") requires a pic 7000 pixels by 2200. My camera only takes a max 3200x2400, so I'll have to take 2 pics and merge.
(That pic in the mockup, is just outside my backyard, but I can't get far enough away from the trees for the pic I want.)

I do get wrinkles but that is because of the way that I fixed the backdrop to the fence (there is 6 ft high bark roll in front of it and this does cause 'flatness' problems due to a bit of sagging at times.
If you have a good flat vertical surface to tack the backdrop to then that would be perfect.
If I was doing it again I would get a flat board to hang it against.

Yeah , that is the problem with getting the ideal backdrop photo.....just getting the distance from the tall stuff.
But knowing your perseverance and tenacity I will be looking forward to seeing your G scale backdrop in the future

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just discovered this freebie online tool (called Rasterbator - unfortunate name, but probably deliberately chosen by some witty programmer) which enables you to take an image and then print it out as a series of A4 sheets which can then be pasted together to make a large poster. Might be useful if you want to see what an image will look like before forking out for a Vinyl banner.

Rasterbator

Rik

Reactions: 1 user