DiMAX connections

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The DiMAX manual says "Track power and program power must never be connected" ? so does that mean you should only connect one set of wires from the Unit too either to the main track or the programing track at any one time ?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My understanding is that if you have a programming track you should not run a loco from your main onto it if there are separate connections to each line from main and programming outlets. On my line Inhabe a prog track and have wired it up via a DPDTCO switch so that it can be a dual purpose bit of track. However you should be sure that If you drive a loco onto your prog track that it is set to main. This was something that my friend did not I believe understand on his 00 DCC system and why prog does not work on the prog track as he trashed it when he drove a looc onto the prog track. Many have a prog track as a separate disconnected lump of rail whichnis the safest option but a bit of a pain with big heavy locomotives.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No, it means do NOT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! connect the track power and programming outputs to each other..

If you want to have a length of track on your bench, for programming, testing etc. ..
Then use a DPDT Centre-off chunky toggle switch.. You can then select your test-track to be EITHER track-power OR programming, and the centre-off position means never the twain will meet.

PhilP.

<John beat me to it..> :)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I imagine it means don't connect them to the same piece of track. If the programming track is electrically isolated from the main track then it should be okay. I don't have a Dimax but this is how other DCC systems with separate track power and programming outlets work. If the same outlet is shared / internally switched between track power and programming then you might need a DPDT switch to connect the outlet to the appropriate section of track as required.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Also if your programming track is on a siding off the main track separated by isolated joiners don't ever program a loco while it is spanning the two sections as it is effectively shorting the track power and programming signal. Have an isolated track section in between, as long as your longest loco.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
thanks for the answers the wording its not the best English translation in the Book :).

What I assumed I could do is have the main track connected to the appropriate connections on the Dimax and a totally separate piece of track on my window sill inside the house for programming, again connected to the appropriate connections on the DiMAX, so both tracks are hard wired too the unit at the same time, then you have the oppition to programme or run , but I wouldent do both at the same time, if this is not what was intended why does it have two sets of connections ?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What I assumed I could do is have the main track connected to the appropriate connections on the Dimax and a totally separate piece of track on my window sill inside the house for programming, again connected to the appropriate connections on the DiMAX, so both tracks are hard wired too the unit at the same time, then you have the oppition to programme or run , but I wouldent do both at the same time, if this is not what was intended why does it have two sets of connections ?
That will be fine..

Having the short length of track capable of being switched to track-power, means you can test any changes in the warm, without having to move the loco from track-to-track.

PhilP.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Phil now I understand what you meant, using one piece of track to do both then that would need a switch to ensure both connections can never be connected to the one piece of track at the same time. I will stick to two separate tracks I think got used to that with the LGB setup, after all to test on the main track I can just open the window and put the Loco on the track just below without going outside in the cold :)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
after all to test on the main track I can just open the window and put the Loco on the track just below without going outside in the cold :)
Ah!
I can't do that..
1. I work upstairs..
2. I don't have any permanent track outside..
;)