idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I recently bought a DIETZ switch light signal from grootspoor. This is a Wn1/Wn2 in German railway signalling parlance, three white lights in an L-shape, two vertical meaning switch straight and two horizontal meaning switch thrown. Prototypically they are used in some German and Austrian narrow gauge systems, like Zillertalbahn for example, which is what my indoor layout is loosely based on.

I got the "kit" form which is the signal body, signal base which fits between sleepers of your track, and 6 LEDs (3 on each side) mounted on a small L-shaped circuit board which includes a resistor and 4 holes to solder your wiring to. It is able to handle 12-24v DC according to the documentation (German only). The wiring is one contact is + common, and the other three one for each light. The body is plastic but the short "pole" is brass tube. The body is basically a box with holes in and a lid held in place with a small brass screw (top right corner in picture below).

2017-05-23 19.12.18.jpg

I wired it up to a point supplementary switch so that the light changes with the switch position. I used 4 core bell wire which fits in the tube nicely. Very simple. Short video clip below.

The lights are quite bright even at 12v, and although I didn't try this I am pretty sure they would be visible outside. It is quite a nice representation of such signals, and simple to assemble and install. I'm not sure how they would fare if left outdoors, you would probably want to make them removable with a 4-way plug for the wiring and use the supplied base to slip the signal into and out of the sleeper gap. The paint has already scratched off the brass tubing so it could do with another coat of paint once assembled. At best part of £20 it is quite pricey, and for most modellers it would be a simple project to build a plasticard box, short length of brass tubing and mount 6 LEDs on a bit of veroboard. But I am not most modellers with too many thumbs and not enough patience. Overall I am pleased with this model.

Reactions: 2 users

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Nice. Have you got it the wrong way round (and/or possibly the wrong hand?) From what I've read, Wn2 light signal is only visible from the toe end of the point not the frog end.

See the diagram top-right of this page:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weichensignal

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Nice. Have you got it the wrong way round (and/or possibly the wrong hand?) From what I've read, Wn2 light signal is only visible from the toe end of the point not the frog end.

See the diagram top-right of this page:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weichensignal
Thanks Nick, you are correct it is wrongly positioned where it is, I just put it there so I could conveniently take a picture of it. The model has lights showing on both sides, not sure if that is prototypical or not.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah I assumed that might be just posed for the photo.

I'm finding it difficult to find photos proving the correct signalling seen from both ends of the point, but going by that Wikipedia link it seems:

Wn1 is seen from both ends, with the lights close to the track when viewed from the toe end and away from the track when viewed from the frog end.

Wn2 is only seen from the toe end. (but if it were the old mechanical signal you'd see a white circle).

Be good to get that confirmed, as I may want to implement a few light signal Wns for my N gauge depot. Time to contact my friend in the DB I think...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure about these signals, but would it not be logical to have the lights both sides? As trains when shunting need an indication of how the points are sitting from all 4 directions, particularly at night. You say the Kit has lights both sides so I would think this may be correct for certain Railways.

The picture below shows a similar signalmon the Harz, note the one in the distance that has the Chevrons on it. These of course are not signals in the true sence of the word but Point Indicators.min the old mechanical days, still many present on the Harz there were 4 indications on a turning lever.
image.jpeg
JonD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1986

Wn 1 - Wn 2.png

Animation Wn1 - Wn2.gif