Delton Rolling Stock

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I see there are some Delton pieces of rolling stock for sale on Ebay. Drovers cabooses in fact. I have only had experience with one piece of Delton stock a few years ago.

It didn't track well on any uneven track because the trucks had no movement other than swiveling horizontally. So when the car hit a section of track that was less than perfect, it derailed.

Has anyone experienced this issue with Delton stuff ?

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
The quality is excellent. Do keep in mind it is 1/24 scale so its slightly smaller than 1/22.5. I mix their freight cars with 1/22.5 and the slight difference is there but not obtrusive.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Can you tell me about the truck mountings ? Is there room for the car to "rock" side to side, as on LGB or USA freight cars ? Those two manufacturers have one truck that is allowed to move freely in all directions, while the other truck has two semi-circular bumps moulded into the bottom of the frame which keeps the truck level at all times. So when the freight car encounters uneven track, one truck is free to conform the the unevenness.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Can you tell me about the truck mountings ? Is there room for the car to "rock" side to side, as on LGB or USA freight cars ? Those two manufacturers have one truck that is allowed to move freely in all directions, while the other truck has two semi-circular bumps moulded into the bottom of the frame which keeps the truck level at all times. So when the freight car encounters uneven track, one truck is free to conform the the unevenness.
The problems I've had with Delton have been the lack of truck play, which I correct by loosening one or both truck mounting screws half a turn or so; and the wheels themselves being gauged too wide. Delton tenders are the worst in my opinion for too wide gauging. I would probably be running all Delton if they hadn't left the marketplace. Some of the trucks and wheels seem to be getting a little brittle from age or exposure and are exhibiting fine cracks, although not near as bad as MDC wheels did.

All in all I have no complaints about my almost 30 year old, well used, Delton equipment.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Hutch. Clearly explained.