Decoder testing - moved from Coffee Lounge

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
[blockquote]Hope no-one minds me doing this, but I posted this to the Sat 21st thread in the Coffee Lounge last night, and this morning realised that it might get lost there with the new thread each day - so I'm reposting it here as a new thread, hoping to get some comments and other folks' ideas.[/blockquote] [blockquote]It started with Tony asking a question about testing decoders...[/blockquote] [blockquote]
[/blockquote] [blockquote]Tony
Evening gents

is there anyway of testing decoders with out fitting them to a loco first please
Tony
[/blockquote]

Tony - as Mike commented, it should be quite simple to build your own test rig (I've been meaning to do one for some time, just not got round to it yet). Decoders need a load to operate while they are being programmed/tested, so what you need to make is a little setup that has a motor (any small one of a suitable voltage should do, ideally with a flywheel of some sort on the shaft so that it has a little bit of load on it), some bulbs or LEDs to test the light outputs, and a speaker if you want to test sound decoders. Some sort of quick fit connections for easy wiring up, then you should be able to couple any decoder to the test rig and check it either with your normal control/programming system or something like a Sprog if you have one.
As Mike said, ESU do a commercial one (I think Jeremy sells them) but I'm not sure if they are universally useable or if they only work with ESU decoders. Theoretically a homebuilt one could be universal, though you might want some different impedance speakers for different sound decoder brands.
Anyone on here actually built something like this already? If so, care to post some pics and write it up? I'll do that if I can ever find the time to make mine!! ;)
Of course, if I'm thinking too simplistically and there are some problems I've missed, please tell me!

Jon.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thank you Jon i just asked the question because ive a few ive aquired over the years and il never use them and havnt tried to sell them because i dont know weather they work or not so if you do build your rig let me know and il let you test them :clap::rofl:

Tony

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
What make(s) of decoder have you got, Tony?

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I use a purpose built rig mounted in a metal camera case.

It contains:

LGB55110 transformer
LGB55006 MTS3 Central Station
LGB 1A Analogue throttle (powered via the 55110)
LGB55045 programming module (soon to be retired)
Massoth Programming Module
ESU decoder tester
Intel Atom Notebook

Track outputs from all of the above go into a rotary switch so that I can select the required device.

I intend to remove the LGB55045 module and add a ESU programmer and a SPROG to the set up.

I will try and take some pics and post them later.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Zerogee said:
What make(s) of decoder have you got, Tony?

Jon.

Now there is a question .....i think they are all little 3 amp ones..... 3 have got LGB 55021 on then one might be Massoth and has the number 014308.......and 8.837160 on a sticker on the supresor but also has the same date sticker on the other side like the LGB ones that says s-gdf 10/07 i have a couple of others il have to dig out of storage

tony

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
LGB 55021 is the standard small loco decoder Tony.

Just fitted one to a Stainz....