Decals/Transfers

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone point me in the direction of the Forum member who produces custom made white decals/transfers?

Ta :eek:nphone:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have used Colour Image Sevices/Simon Young -01293 528677 - in the past. Dry print type, so no carrier film to worry about trimming, any colour including white. You do the artwork, as much as you can get onto an A4 about £25. Just about to send off some stuff to get my Bachmann 3 truck shay into Westside Lumber style. Max

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Chris Moxham

mocco'at'blueyounder.co.uk

is good, does all mine, lining, crests, lettering, all custom made to me request, he does all the artwork. Not expensive!
52adc540a46a411bbaf61e166cae2fa7.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can do it yourself using inkjet (have to varnish it to make it wayerproof) or laser decal paper. Either on a clear background or if you want white lettering or design you use white background decal paper with a background colour around the white eg black.
The artwork is up to your own imagination etc.
I have done a lot for locos, signs, posters, building decoration. It is cheap about £1 a sheet.

I am investigating purchasing a (fully working) old Alps, Citizen or OKi printer that can do actual white printing on a clear background decal paper but finding one that is fully functional for under £200 is proving pretty difficult. The inks are not cheap either.

If I get one then I will be offering a decal service to members.

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
They look very good Nico. Do you know if he can do white on clear background ? If he can it will save me the expense of purchasing a special printer.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, as usual, thanks guys.

I have, in the past, used the crafty paper with an inkjet. it's OK ish, but you have to try and fix the ink after printing and before applying, and it's not the best method with a black background :-

5c8fc8d364a944c7bc89e0a39dd4e6cf.jpg

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
nico said:
Sorry i dont know but heres a link to another DIY site .they do white
http://www.mcgpaper.com/modeldecals.html
Hi Nico
Yes their system is the same that I use at present where the white is not actually printed but uses the white decal paper background showing through a block of colour with a shape cut away eg lettering so the white shows through.
Like Rhinochugger says it is okay provided the block colour exactly matches the colour of the loco/freight car etc (weathering does cover up any discrepancy .
Laser printing makes the best colour match, especially black and 'texture' but it is still not as good as actually printing white on a clear background and that is why special printers like the 'Alps' are utilised as they can print with white 'ink' a bit like dye sublimation.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
They look very good Nico. Do you know if he can do white on clear background ?
Certainly did a couple of years ago, the road name on the tender, the loco cab number and brake van lettering are examples of Chris Moxham's work. :D

ce93ed234dd84267b5f03e50230a8bb2.jpg

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
Would anyone know if i could get some gold lettering done???

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
They look just the ticket Neil, I will contact him about some that I need for white on a clear background. Others I will do myself with the white background paper through the laser jet.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
mmts said:
Would anyone know if i could get some gold lettering done???
The Alsp printer that I mentioned in an earlier post also does metallic printing. But the real problem is finding a fully functioning printer. Perhaps the link that Nico put to the guy that does white printing will also draw trumps for metallic too if he uses an Alps.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
There was a guy on here a couple of months ago using a white ink printer to do white printing on ordinary clear decal paper.

That's who I was thinking of in my original question - not a criticism, there've been plenty of helpful suggestions.

I've had moderate success with my own stuff - but I want this one to be pukka :eek:nphone:
e8f73e15d1a74ec79d8dbc8d164095c5.jpg

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Precision Labels do any colour you want - on clear backing. I can only do the artwork for white ones, if you want something fancier John also does custom designs. Send him an email via his site: www.precisionlabels.co.uk

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
beavercreek said:
They look very good Nico. Do you know if he can do white on clear background ? If he can it will save me the expense of purchasing a special printer.

Yup - see my picture in the post above!! Or any of my photos really, it's all his work.