DCC upgrade for a Piko BR64

Jane Buglear

Registered
26 Aug 2021
Guildford
Best answers
Country flag
I am new to this forum and this is my first attempt at a post! I have a Piko BR64 which I want to use with a Fleischmann Roco z21. The z21 is all up and running and I am now ready to programme the loco into it. But despite all my attempts to find it when it is on the programming track the z21 wont see it. The BR64 says it comes prepared for digital operation. I have looked at what is installed and I have found a Piko 37430-82-3000 attached to a front panel with switches for light and steam. My questions are -

Do I still need to install a digital decoder? I have a 36125 Piko Smart Decoder 4.1G multiprotocol loco decoder for G scale. Is this the one to fit? And if so are there online instructions about how to fit it? The manual with the decoder has very little info in it.

I'd also like to add sound and have a 36222 Piko sound module, is this the right one? I can see how 36125 and 36222 fit together and where the speaker connects. Again are there online instructions about how to fit into the BR64? Is it obvious how the 36125 connects to the 37430 so that the digital decoder is connected to everything?

And are there online instructions about any dismantling I need to do to fit everything?

Sorry about all my questions. This is the first time I have attempted to work with a G-scale engine as I am just beginning my outdoor railway. However I have a very extensive Maerklin HO internal layout.

Many thanks for any advice!

Jane

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, on the Piko site, the 36222 clearly says "requires decoder", and it is the right one.

also on the site: "Digital DCC decoder and sound ready (Use a PIKO #36222 sound kit in conjunction with PIKO loco decoder #36125) "

Ready = not included

Yes, the web site states that the 36125 is the right decoder.

I could not find the owners manual easily, but I am sure there must be one. Did you not get a manual when you purchased the loco?

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Your Z21 will have a Loco 0 for Analogue Loco pre programmed in to the unit. Till you fit a decoder you will be able to run the Loco (only 1 as 0 on track at a time) as 0. You will be able to use other DcC fitted Locomotives as well. You may not be able to see it on the prog track without a decoder and will not be able to change it to anything other than 0 (alalogue loco) till you fit a decoder. Some amount of disassembly is required to fit a decoder to almost any locomotive. I believe that Piko do a sound decoder for most of their locomotives.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
When I bought my BR64 (which I have since sold again) it already came with a decoder (a Massoth one in this case) installed by the dealer, so I haven't done an install on one of these myself - but if you've got the Piko decoder and sound module then it should be a relatively straightforward plug-in operation - I believe that the decoder location on the BR64 is accessed via a removable plate underneath the cab, which makes the fitting much simpler than many other locos as you shouldn't need to disassemble or remove anything except the access panel.

When you turn the loco over (supporting it carefully in the top half of the foam packaging) and remove the access plate, you should see an analogue adaptor board, which has to be removed and replaced with the decoder.

Hopefully somebody else who has a manual on hand may be able to help with some more details...?

Oh, and welcome to the GSC madhouse! :)

Jon.

Jane Buglear

Registered
26 Aug 2021
Guildford
Best answers
Country flag
So, on the Piko site, the 36222 clearly says "requires decoder", and it is the right one.

also on the site: "Digital DCC decoder and sound ready (Use a PIKO #36222 sound kit in conjunction with PIKO loco decoder #36125) "

Ready = not included

Yes, the web site states that the 36125 is the right decoder.

I could not find the owners manual easily, but I am sure there must be one. Did you not get a manual when you purchased the loco?

Greg
Sadly I think I lost the manual when I moved house. If you find a URL to it do let me know as I have searched and cant find it Jane

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Sadly I think I lost the manual when I moved house. If you find a URL to it do let me know as I have searched and cant find it Jane
Look about 2/3rds of the way down this website.
Click on the "operating instructions for G BR 64".
Page 15 shows the fitting of the speaker and sound module. Page 14 shows the location of the SUSI interface socket on the main board. Plug the sound board's SUSI plug into it.

Edit, the shed replied when I was typing. :)

Reactions: 1 user

luigi.gitto

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
18 Aug 2015
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't remember when I digitalized my BR 64, but it was easy.
You have to remove the analog platine and put on the decoder, you could also use an Uhlembrock 77500 that is the same Piko decoder, but less expensive.
When you disassemble the loco you could find the correct place for the speaker.
I recommend you to use sound decoder 32500 that could be easily connected to the 77500 throught the SUSI connector.

Jane Buglear

Registered
26 Aug 2021
Guildford
Best answers
Country flag
Look about 2/3rds of the way down this website.
Click on the "operating instructions for G BR 64".
Page 15 shows the fitting of the speaker and sound module. Page 14 shows the location of the SUSI interface socket on the main board. Plug the sound board's SUSI plug into it.

Edit, the shed replied when I was typing. :)
Thanks Neil - page 14 and 15 look like they show me what to do - thanks! I will keep everyone posted with my progress!