DCC Track cleaner

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I converted my LGB track cleaner to DCC with an XLS decoder and a simple decoder (xls I think ) for the track cleaning wheels. When i was just recomishioning it the track cleaning wheels weren't working, so i took it apart to see what i had done ( as i cant remember) and see what was wrong with it. I transpired thet the plug between the main unit and the front end had come unpluged but before i reasemble i was wondering what is the normal way to controll the track cleaning wheels as i an sure most people dont use a seperate decoder.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Quite often, a relay is driven from a function output, to switch the cleaning motor off/on..

You really need a bridge rectifier (possibly a DC speed controller, as well). This will keep the cleaning motor speed constant, but allow you to control the motors speed.
I would fuse this separately, as well.

PhilP

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, but can you get a sub miniture dc speed controller to fit inside the loco body?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, but can you get a sub miniture dc speed controller to fit inside the loco body?
I am pretty certain, such an installation was documented on the Forum?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but most people I know when fitting another decoder (or the first decoder), just put a second decoder in, motor only to control the speed of the cleaning motor.

From my experience, I would just leave the motor connected to the rails in just the way Phil said, relay controlling it from decoder function output, FW bridge from the track powers it. I would put a .1 cap on the DC output side, but that's just me with a bit of filtering/noise reduction to the motor, probably does not make a big difference, just habit.

In my experience, the faster the cleaning motor turns the better, there is no benefit in slowing it down. In fact, if you don't have at least 20-21 volts DCC it won't work well period.

Greg

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg, i will investigate a relay, i have plenty of voltage on the track so that wont be a problem. do masoth do a relay just for info?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
maybe, I would run a relay with high amperage contacts and low current draw (the relay coil). That will withstand the current the motor will draw, and not work the decoder output too hard. Be sure to put a snubbing diode across the relay coil.

Greg

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
maybe, I would run a relay with high amperage contacts and low current draw (the relay coil). That will withstand the current the motor will draw, and not work the decoder output too hard. Be sure to put a snubbing diode across the relay coil.

Greg
What sort of ampage does the track cleaning motor drawer, for the relay contacts? or on the other hand could i just take power from the track and switch the track cleaning motor on with the switch in the cab?

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What sort of ampage does the track cleaning motor drawer, for the relay contacts? or on the other hand could i just take power from the track and switch the track cleaning motor on with the switch in the cab?
Around 800mA as an average.. But you need to allow for turn-on and peaks.
A 2Amp rated relay would be fine.

Yes, you could use the cab-switch, but will have to 'bell-out' the wiring. - The LGB switch, is not as you expect.

PhilP

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
( Yes, you could use the cab-switch, but will have to 'bell-out' the wiring. - The LGB switch, is not as you expect. )

I will check that out thanks for the heads up.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I have belled out the switch in the cab the ctr position is off and each way connects the contacts on the obviouse side and its double pole so all ok.
I have been investigating the decoder i had installed for the cleaning wheels and aparantly it is a very basic one so i may as well leave it there i will program it if need be through the power plug on the rear of the trackcleanre suitably wired up. (if needed)
The next question is how do i set the cv's up to get flashing lights on the cab top powerd from F2 and f3 connections i understand i need to alter the voltage as i thinkthey have 5v bulbs in them and make them flash. I have the pc programer and software if i can remember how to use it my 15 year old grandson may have to be called in to assist

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think it would normally be either F1/F2, or F3/F4, as alternate flashing pairs?

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
remember that the running current in a motor is not what you want the contacts rated for, the inductive load of a motor being switched has much higher surge currents. 5 amp contacts with noise suppression cap

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
MD electronics sells a decoder for the LGB TCL. I have 24 volts on my rails so I lowered the lamp voltages to dim the lights (at least 5 CV's need lower values).