DCC prog track common pole?

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Just wondering if the above is feasable/advisable?

Running three wires one to the normal track, one to the prog track and a common 3rd wire to both.

Is it a no no, can it be done, and would it matter which pole was the common?

Now befor you ask why, its just that i have a isolated prog tack/siding and a DPDT switch which can make it work either way,
and am considering an additional feed to all my track from the house rather than lugging the controller to the shed.

Have plenty of wire to do either two pairs or one and a half.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Personally I would go for separate feeds and the DPDT switch option.....That's what I have here:clap:

Drive em on, flick the switch, program, Flick the switch and drive em Off again:D

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The programming track normally has inbuilt current limitation to avoid major meltdown if a decoder being tested/programmed is installed incorrectly. It's probably not powered through the same amplifier/booster as the main output.

My advice would be stick with the DPDT switch.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
No no no no no no no

Don't do it.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I would use a totally separate piece of track. Sooner or later a loco will bridge the join (DPDT switch or not) and you will re program everything on the main track.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
... Sooner or later a loco will bridge the join (DPDT switch or not) and you will re program everything on the main track.
... or short across and blow your programming track feed.

Must admit I do all my programming on a rolling road with a SPROG, on my workbench in my hobby room, well away from the main layout and with a PC to hand for reference to manuals and forums etc. (as well as for driving the SPROG).

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
Set yourself up 1mtr of track and program on that.
For all things Massoth GO TO MASSOTH their forum is full of information and solved problems.

Railway42