DCC Decoder Power Buffers - remove when converting to battery operation?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 28302 LGB Ballerina loco I’m in the process of converting to battery operation. It has a Massoth XLS decoder fitted together with a Massoth Power Buffer (fitted to eradicate issues with occasional stalling over points).

I’m planning to use the Fosworks kit to enable me to keep the loco‘s DCC track power capability when not running on battery power (I cannot afford to convert all of my locos to solely battery power at this time).

My question - if I retain the power buffer attached to the XLS decoder, is this likely to produce any issues with battery operation? E.g. reducing battery availability to power the loco as some of the batteries’ energy will be needed to keep the power buffer charged?

I can look at wiring the buffer so that the switch which varies power from track to battery isolates the buffer on battery use, but this is a level of complexity I’d like to avoid if possible.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this situation and how they addressed it.

Thanks.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you are going to have duel power battery/track, then you will NEED a DPDT (preferably centre off) to isolate the track from the battery, and yes the power buffer would then be on the track side of the switch.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Power buffers are quite often wired into (and managed) by the decoder..
Switching it out, could be quite complex, if you do not know your way around the installation.

It is not necessary to remove it. - think of it, as an auxiliary battery, but one you don't need to worry about.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ummm..... not needed on battery power, since your power will always be solid on.

But do you need to remove? Think of the power buffer like a container of water as a spare source. Once it is filled, it requires no more effort, and it's always there for use. You don't lose anything, it's like a second, small, rechargeable battery with basically zero loss to charge.

If it unplugs easily, do so, as you won't need it. But I cannot see how it would hurt anything, except if you have to do DCC programming, I don't know if it needs to be removed then.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys, helpful comments, especially the container of water analogy (thanks, Greg). As I expect to use this loco on track power for a fair amount of time I’ll leave it in place.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 28302 LGB Ballerina loco I’m in the process of converting to battery operation. It has a Massoth XLS decoder fitted together with a Massoth Power Buffer (fitted to eradicate issues with occasional stalling over points).

I’m planning to use the Fosworks kit to enable me to keep the loco‘s DCC track power capability when not running on battery power (I cannot afford to convert all of my locos to solely battery power at this time).

My question - if I retain the power buffer attached to the XLS decoder, is this likely to produce any issues with battery operation? E.g. reducing battery availability to power the loco as some of the batteries’ energy will be needed to keep the power buffer charged?

I can look at wiring the buffer so that the switch which varies power from track to battery isolates the buffer on battery use, but this is a level of complexity I’d like to avoid if possible.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this situation and how they addressed it.

Thanks.
Noting the replies I am not sure that there is certain knowledge in them. I would tend to ring Steve at Fosworks and ask him, he is always very helpful and will know for sure. The last thing you want to do is trash the RX. I presume you are going to use FOSWORKS DCC setup?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You are not going to trash the receiver!

A power buffer, supplies power to, the decoder. Not to the track connections of the decoder, which is the only way that voltage could be fed back to the receiver.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I agree, does not make sense, the power buffer is normally connected to the "internal" DC system of the decoder, isolated behind at least a full wave rectifier.

Really no chance of an issue, it does help to understand how it works, to know it cannot be an issue.

Greg