dash9 control and sound

wilbur

Registered
4 Jul 2018
Las Vegas, NV.
Best answers
I have the new crest Revo system with one board... easy to install? what are the choices for sound?
I suppose I'll need a board for each one, but can I link together for sound? Or will each loco need it's own control and sound board?
THX

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
so you have the small receiver that plugs into the loco, or you bought the larger "trackside" version?

There's two ways to go, power the rails from the larger trackside unit, i.e. only one train controlled at a time and the sound comes from that unit connected to the rails, or put a decoder in each loco, so each loco can have it's own independent control and sound.

You can go either way, and the transmitter will control both types of receivers.

There's 2 different diesel sounds too I think... go on their site.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have the new crest Revo system with one board... easy to install? what are the choices for sound?
I suppose I'll need a board for each one, but can I link together for sound? Or will each loco need it's own control and sound board?
THX
If you are going to use the OnBoard Battery System I can send you a pic if the wiring concept, you would need to work out how it goes in your specific loco. For information though I managed to stuff a Steam One (same size) in an LGB 20761 Steam 0-4-0 Tank so your Dash should be a breeze for space. The generic Diesel Sound System should be ok for your Loco but it will never be the same as if you went down the Air Wire Battery Control Route with a DCC Chip for your sound.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The Crest Revolution plugs directly into the socket in the loco and includes sound Jon.... I think he's asking the questions I answered, in the loco or control the track.

Plug in the loco (socket already in loco, 5 minute installation)
rx_new_fcc.jpg

"Trackside" unit, powers the rails, using unmodified locos:
pwc_base.jpg

Both with sound, of course the one connected to your rails just sits there, while the unit in the loco is, well, in the loco.

The same transmitter is used to control either/both:
revo57001a_3_1_3.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The Crest Revolution plugs directly into the socket in the loco and includes sound Jon.... I think he's asking the questions I answered, in the loco or control the track.

Plug in the loco (socket already in loco, 5 minute installation)
rx_new_fcc.jpg

"Trackside" unit, powers the rails, using unmodified locos:
pwc_base.jpg

Both with sound, of course the one connected to your rails just sits there, while the unit in the loco is, well, in the loco.

The same transmitter is used to control either/both:
revo57001a_3_1_3.jpg
You get things easy in the US with BatteryInstalations, we have to do it the hard way over here.

Subsidiary question if you can help please.

I have 3 Train Aristo 2.4 Train Engineers for some of my Battery Locos that have Aristo Kit Fitted. On two of them In have linked the 3 Trains to the Hand Sets and can swop between each loco or handset at will. These were the older Hard Key Handsets.

The newer one with the softer ruberish keys that I have has all 4 of my Locomotives set up but will only work with the latest linked one. Also the newer Sound Chip will only work with the older handsets if it is linked and then the other 3 will then not work till I relink them all again. Is this a 'feature' of the bewer handsets and Sound Chips?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Have to take this apart a bit to understand.

"The newer one with the softer ruberish keys that I have has all 4 of my Locomotives set up but will only work with the latest linked one. "

So, what do you mean by "Set up"? Does this mean you were able to successfully link all 4 locos? If so, just for grins, what loco id's did you use?

When you say "work", does this mean that when you assign a loco to a "cab", and you set up 4 cabs, only one of the 4 cabs works?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have to take this apart a bit to understand.

"The newer one with the softer ruberish keys that I have has all 4 of my Locomotives set up but will only work with the latest linked one. "

So, what do you mean by "Set up"? Does this mean you were able to successfully link all 4 locos? If so, just for grins, what loco id's did you use?

When you say "work", does this mean that when you assign a loco to a "cab", and you set up 4 cabs, only one of the 4 cabs works?
Greg thanks for your contact and help.

Sorry if my description was a bit off will try to explain some more.

Locomotives Present
Cab 0 DMU link addr 00
Cab 1 OBB Wizzy Cranks link addr 01
Cab 2 box Motor VT007 link addr 02
Cab 3 99-5005 link addr 49 link addr 03 on newer handset ha issue!
These are on both Handsets

So changed the MU/SU on my old and new hand sets, 5005 now changed (as 03) on the old handsets. When linked with the older handset works ok. As do all my other locomotives.

Now all linked with the new Controller With the Assignment, Usage of Cab and MU same on both handsets. 03 Only works on the new one now after re linking with the new handset and will now not work with the older handset.

I understand that if 2 handsets are set to the same loco may cause conflictions. I still believe it to be something to do with the newer handsets and the Sound Reciever Cards.

But to sumarise the problem.
All Locomotives will work fine on my 2 older handsets.

However the newer handset will only work with one linked Locomotive so I generally have it linked to the Loco assigned Cab 3.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, one tip right off, never use link address 00, weird things happen...
older cabs can only go to 49, not 99 so be sure to avoid it... i.e. stay at 49 and under for link addresses.

Start by using addresses 1 through 4 and see if that helps.
I'd delete all the stuff in each handheld first....

greg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, one tip right off, never use link address 00, weird things happen...
older cabs can only go to 49, not 99 so be sure to avoid it... i.e. stay at 49 and under for link addresses.

Start by using addresses 1 through 4 and see if that helps.
I'd delete all the stuff in each handheld first....

greg
Thanks Greg will give that a go.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have a long term working relationship and friendship with the head technical guy at Precision RC, who are the manufacturer, we can solve your issue. Just keep working at it... of course, make 4 "cabs" also please at first.

Regards, Greg

Reactions: 1 user